Eisei-En Grand Opening Day 2 Photo Gallery

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty garden and very proud of the trees based on a few prices. Crazy Easterners!!

I'm wondering how his stock and prices may change over the years as he establishes his nursery in the area. My hope is that Tennessee will see an upswing in bonsai culture and that we will see more examples of high level material made from native trees. So far Eisei-En is the closest bonsai specific business that has opened near to where I live. While I am nowhere near the skill level to be thinking of trees of this calibur, I am excited that having an artist like Bjorn nearby will spur more educational opportunities and workshops.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What you are saying is completely valid. Dav4 has a big Rocky near Atlanta, and it’s living, but not actually thriving.

I have a Western Juniper that I’ve grafted Kishu juniper on, and I suspect it will do just fine, after I bring it home from California.

I also have a big Utah Juniper, on the same scale as Bjorn’s big ones. On it, I’m in the process of grafting Kishu foliage, and it already has San Jose roots grafted on. So, it will live in the Southeast.

But, you are right, our humidity and rain is difficult for those desert/mountain trees. I have heard that even Ryan Neil is having some difficulty with them as Oregon is a lot more humid and rainy and foggy than the desert trees are accustomed to.

The Bonsai and Penjing Museum in D.C. has had severe issues with a couple of the Cali junipers in the collection over the years. Root rot is a constant concern even in soils that are basically gravel and have excellent drainage. Our summers here can be extremely soggy and humid. We're at 92 degrees today with 85 percent relative humidity--which not unusual for late summer here. That level of humidity is about double that of a typical summer day in higher elevations out west.

I've wondered how Ryan's big high desert/alpine conifers fare in his relatively humid location.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The Bonsai and Penjing Museum in D.C. has had severe issues with a couple of the Cali junipers in the collection over the years. Root rot is a constant concern even in soils that are basically gravel and have excellent drainage. Our summers here can be extremely soggy and humid. We're at 92 degrees today with 85 percent relative humidity--which not unusual for late summer here. That level of humidity is about double that of a typical summer day in higher elevations out west.

I've wondered how Ryan's big high desert/alpine conifers fare in his relatively humid location.

If i recall correctly, the majority of things throughout the garden appeared to be in larger grained, pumice heavy, complete inorganic mixes. However, those hoss junipers did look fairly akadama heavy.
This has got to be on his radar, right??
68D50897-0069-4FCE-9939-518ED09C0CD5.pngEDA05BE1-F9E7-48B8-A1EC-5E427C6504FC.png

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Yeah, I have a big Utah with Kishu foliage and San Jose roots. That combo will do fine in the Southeast.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have wondered that the lack of deciduous material, I had hoped that given his location he would have more in that direction. I also thought that he was more interested in d material, but I guess you have to go with what’s hot nowadays, Giant hulks of collected evergreen.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have wondered that the lack of deciduous material, I had hoped that given his location he would have more in that direction. I also thought that he was more interested in d material, but I guess you have to go with what’s hot nowadays, Giant hulks of collected evergreen.

The problem is that it is simply not existent in the USA n large numbers and high quality - broadleaved material is universes away from the quality of offered conifers. There is a huge market waiting to be filled with stuff.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The problem is that it is simply not existent in the USA n large numbers and high quality - broadleaved material is universes away from the quality of offered conifers. There is a huge market waiting to be filled with stuff.
Yes, I’m a part of that waiting market. I’m all D and have a difficult time, but get lucky sometimes, few and far between...

Jm91080

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live near nashville and I attended the grand opening, I noticed the balance of trees was light on deciduous material. I also wondered about local material, it appeared as though he had a lilac, was I seeing things? Not native, but definitely feral around tennessee.

Jm91080

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I’m a part of that waiting market. I’m all D and have a difficult time, but get lucky sometimes, few and far between...
I've collected some yellow birch yamadori around here, I have some specimens of quaking aspen, and white poplar collected from feral populations. You could probably find some decent shohin sized stuff without much exertion, alot of my birches I find are literally just growing in a few inches of soil on bare rock. I live on the cumberland plateau, just east of eisei en.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've collected some yellow birch yamadori around here, I have some specimens of quaking aspen, and white poplar collected from feral populations. You could probably find some decent shohin sized stuff without much exertion, alot of my birches I find are literally just growing in a few inches of soil on bare rock. I live on the cumberland plateau, just east of eisei en.

Hey JM, welcome to bn.
You should definitely put your location info as mentioned above in your personal info..this is a big help in many aspects..especially in seeking help w/ trees here.

Have you attended an NBS meeting? I recently joined NBS, good people.

Unfortunately I missed this past Tuesday and seeing Bjorn work...wedding anniversary:rolleyes::cool:

Here’s a link if not.
https://nashvillebonsai.com

Also, was happy to see this American hornbeam work he just posted a few days ago. When defoliated, this forest planting really shines.
I too noticed a lack of native south eastern and relative lack of deciduous species at the opening. I think many were bought on the first day...saw several folks walking around with smaller purchased deciduous.
I’m thinking that this will likely be changing over time as they get reaclimated to the region..hopefully that video is an indication of this.

Jm91080

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey JM, welcome to bn.
You should definitely put your location info as mentioned above in your personal info..this is a big help in many aspects..especially in seeking help w/ trees here.

Have you attended an NBS meeting? I recently joined NBS, good people.

Unfortunately I missed this past Tuesday and seeing Bjorn work...wedding anniversary:rolleyes::cool:

Here’s a link if not.
https://nashvillebonsai.com

Also, was happy to see this American hornbeam work he just posted a few days ago. When defoliated, this forest planting really shines.
I too noticed a lack of native south eastern and relative lack of deciduous species at the opening. I think many were bought on the first day...saw several folks walking around with smaller purchased deciduous.
I’m thinking that this will likely be changing over time as they get reaclimated to the region..hopefully that video is an indication of this.
I filled out more of my info, thanks for the tip. Ive never checked out the nbs, im a farmer/horticulturist , the wiring and clipping arent my strong suit, and I only do it when I have to, so maybe I should check out a meeting to encourage myself,

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

That's where you were. I realized I hadnt said hi to you and was hoping I didn't just miss you because I was buying up all of Mike's trees lol.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I watched the video tour he did on YouTube of the new garden and was surprised he had no footage of the opening day celebrations. Maybe he was too busy entertaining to take video. Since he is from the Chattanooga area I would bet he will get more local stuff, but in recent years he has been traveling all over establishing his credentials and I doubt he has had much time to go local.

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The boy who stealing tree on TV for the money. SO much American. Hai

Top Bottom