Eisen-en and Bjorn

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Maybe Talk (BS) and Go Home? 😂
I was good with anagrams and word games as a kiddo.

I personally find all these experiences valuable.
I twice ordered trees online and experienced two different results.

Forestcat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t think beads should EVER be used when shipping “normal shape” trees. The strongest part of a tree is the base/roots, holding the tree “by the pot” (wrapped in film/tape to hold the soil and retain moisture) is the best bet, combined with a box that won’t crush.

If the box gets wet it loses all strength and collapses.

If the root mass/pot are heavy and the tree is loose in with beads, it it’s dropped upside down the beads will snap all the branches off. (If it’s a conifer whip in a light plastic pot then mayyybe beads are ok)

I normally clingfilm the pot/roots, then tape to a padded layer to protect the underside of the pot and help hold it central in the box, then cut holes in the bottom of the sides of the box and apply strong packing tape “seatbelts” to the pot. Then tape all joints of the (double wall) box to maximise stiffness.

Alfter that I treat it like any other parkel, upside down, even a short drop (not by me!) are all fine, the “tree” weights nothing compared to the pot/roots!

View attachment 364941
That looks like a really sound packaging strategy.

Forestcat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've ordered trees from various nurseries and have had no problems with how they were packed - all arrived in good shape. Some tomato seedlings from White Flower Farms were packed in a specialized box and despite the tender stems were okay.

I think if they arrived in good condition then there is no reason to complain. Bjorn probably ships many trees and this method has stood the test of many shipments. At first blush, I thought $14 was expensive too, but looking at the box, the material is double ply cardboard. This is specialty packaging that you can't pick up at your local OfficeMax.

Forestcat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Regarding shipping pots, there is another bonsai artist living near Portland who ships pots in a practically bulletproof manner. It's a little over the top, but I've never had a broken pot from them, even largish ones.

Top Bottom