El Duderino's Garden ... A Deep Dive

El Duderino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love blue spruce. For me, there is no question that early spring is the best time for hard pruning blue spruce. When the needles are just starting to become visible as the sheath of the bud starts to be pushed off of the earliest buds. This of course means some of the other buds will not be showing needles yet. The remainder of the tree after the hard prune should explode with new backbudding of healthy. This is about right:
View attachment 394079

I also find this the best time to repot blue spruce. But never both in the same year.

I would highly recommend getting the roots into proper substrate first. And then doing the chop the following year if all goes well and it grows strong after the repot.
Great stuff, TJ! Thanks for the feedback and tips. I agree that it’s most pressing to deal with the repot first on this one. Would it safe to at least clean up some of the whorls at that time? I just want to deal with a few weaker branches coming out of the trunk at the same place. Thanks again.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I
Today’s entry is new to my garden. I was at Gulley’s Garden Center yesterday. I’d just stopped in to pick up some germination trays/cups. But it’s a really cool downtown nursery under large old trees, a really enjoyable place to stroll around. On my walk I came across a Hinoki, not something they typically carry. It looked a little sad, so I asked the owner if he’d make me a deal on it. He obliged to take half off and I bought it for $25. The label read “Golden Dwarf Hinoki.” Based some searching, I think it’s a Chaemacyparis obtusa ‘nana lutea.’ Would love to know if @Leo in N E Illinois agrees.

I think it’s a perfect candidate for literati. I can maybe even air layer a little shohin tree from the top. All I did yesterday was clean up the dead foliage and add some moss to cover the surface roots.

View attachment 392569View attachment 392570View attachment 392571View attachment 392572View attachment 392573View attachment 392574

Needless to say, I’m pretty excited about this little score. Seems like it has some age on it and lots of branching for some design options. Looking forward to developing this tree over the coming years. Would love to hear any thoughts or feedback. Thanks for reading. Enjoy today and remember tomorrow is Friday 😉.
m such a sucker for Hinoki. This one could be a great little tree over time. I bought a B&B Hinoki in June and completely bare rooted it and planted in pure pumice. It did not skip a beat. I followed this template. http://bonsaiwonders-art.blogspot.com/2008/01/taming-hinoki-cypress.html?m=1

El Duderino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I

m such a sucker for Hinoki. This one could be a great little tree over time. I bought a B&B Hinoki in June and completely bare rooted it and planted in pure pumice. It did not skip a beat. I followed this template. http://bonsaiwonders-art.blogspot.com/2008/01/taming-hinoki-cypress.html?m=1
Great article, Danny. Thanks for sharing. I love Hinoki, too. There’s just something about them that grabs me. I’m afraid this one had some kind of pests as the foliage is continuing to die back in various places. Also think it needs to get into proper soil as soon as it’s appropriate. Would love some feedback on what you think may be the issue. Here are some images of the tree today.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The white stuff is DE. There’s no visible pests as of now. But there were some thick web like bundles in there that I cleaned up right when I bought it. Appreciate any feedback.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great stuff, TJ! Thanks for the feedback and tips. I agree that it’s most pressing to deal with the repot first on this one. Would it safe to at least clean up some of the whorls at that time? I just want to deal with a few weaker branches coming out of the trunk at the same place. Thanks again.

Personally I would not do any reduction of the foliage at the same time I repot a spruce. A few weaker branches would likely be fine, but I would just do that now as opposed to at the same time as the repot.

If it is going to be a significant reduction of the foliage, I’d wait until the following spring.

El Duderino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Time for a Saturday post from my garden. Today’s first tree: Buxus microphylla var. japonica ‘Green Beauty.’

This is actually the very first tree I bought this year to begin my collection. Here it is the day I brought it home from Lowe’s. I bought it because to me, at the time, it looked fairly tree like.

39A4B7F0-D88D-4D0E-8845-CC008E5883D7.jpegA8FF6753-8850-42A2-A3BB-6D9720A5F7C7.jpegF7891882-79D5-4B27-9240-7103128EA785.jpeg

I repotted it into a pond basket with pumice, lava rock and akadama. I removed about half of the root ball. I also cut the leggy top branch. In retrospect, probably should have just left it to grow out but oh well.

Here’s the tree as of yesterday. Lots of new healthy growth.

FD686F0F-AEF5-40C3-8B19-9156187F0067.jpeg98658D47-3464-4A9B-BBF4-7A196C232DB7.jpeg534F8CFF-B3A9-4F9F-ABD8-DB524839D242.jpeg

These are slow growers as I understand it. And they also don’t back bud well. I will probably let it keep growing out in the pond basket for a couple more growing seasons. At some point I’ll need to address that big root that has no taper. Going to go for a multi-trunk design at some point. Welp, thanks for reading. Feedback always welcome.

El Duderino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Next up: Will Leaf Ficus, more specifically, Ficus salicifolia. There are five total plants, all cuttings from the same mother tree. I bought these guys on $0.99 Bonsai Auctions on Facebook.

Here they are a couple weeks after I bought them (somehow I missed getting pic of the smallest one):

06B1ED63-8B27-472D-9D2C-DA0BBA7AFF2E.jpeg80D23728-12EE-4F3A-94D7-562DD7483A14.jpegB3BBA952-EB29-492F-ADC0-76CF64FEC7B0.jpeg3B1192EF-288B-449F-A811-AEBAD4A6D704.jpeg

I really like the last one above. It’s pushing out tons of aerial roots now. Here they are a few days ago. I accidentally caught one of them with the weed eater last week and took out a branch.

D41832FF-B39F-4209-B889-863D54DE8C2B.jpeg11958CE5-56F2-4A28-9988-4738E69BDE5E.jpeg8B6EE5DF-2104-4C21-ADB5-13F3C1896FE9.jpeg069176AC-C6FE-4C1B-A117-76BE74400567.jpeg8B30AABA-4824-4AA1-B129-A384D71242DC.jpeg

I will need to repot at least the biggest one in the next day or two. It’s very pot bound and lacks adequate drainage. These little guys will winter in my garage in a grow tent with LEDs. They seem like a lot of fun and are fast growers. Looking forward to developing all of them. Thanks for reading. Feedback welcome!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great article, Danny. Thanks for sharing. I love Hinoki, too. There’s just something about them that grabs me. I’m afraid this one had some kind of pests as the foliage is continuing to die back in various places. Also think it needs to get into proper soil as soon as it’s appropriate. Would love some feedback on what you think may be the issue. Here are some images of the tree today.

View attachment 394118View attachment 394119View attachment 394120

The white stuff is DE. There’s no visible pests as of now. But there were some thick web like bundles in there that I cleaned up right when I bought it. Appreciate any feedback.
It looks stressed from the pests you spoke of. It’s shedding unneeded foliage. But it could also be a root health issue. I’m not certain. I would not repot it in its current state. Work on its health next spring, but I’m afraid an aggressive repot may seal its fate. In the future you may want to address the roots and substrate first then handle the foliage. That’s my experience with Hinoki so far.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Happy Sunday, folks. I will be sharing my trees in no particular order and haphazardly as the mood strikes. Today feels like a good day for my little Hinoki.

Specifically, this tree is a chamaecyparis obtusa var. 'Little John' (I think I wrote the name out correctly but I would love it if someone, maybe @Leo in N E Illinois, would correct me if I did it wrong).

Here is the tree today:

View attachment 390442

A brief history on this tree: I bought it in mid June on $0.99 Bonsai Auction on Facebook. I really like this particular cultivar. It has almost a orange/rust color where the foliage emerges. I haven't done anything to it other than add a bit of moss to protect some roots at the surface and clean up some dead foliage on the interior. The habit of this tree makes it very dense. I know that over time, this will need to be dealt with so that I can allow more light and air to the interior.

Over the past week or so, I've been pondering a design idea. I am not very good at drawing. Instead, I've been trying to take inspiration from trees in nature that I love. My town has a list of "Significant Trees" that are all tagged. We are also fortunate to have an abundance of old growth Longleaf Pines (pinus palustris) all around us. I love these trees but as we all know, they are not a good candidate for bonsai. My idea is to take this hinoki and make a miniature version of a tree I see nearly everyday. Here is that tree from a couple different angles:

View attachment 390445

View attachment 390446

View attachment 390447

As you can see, it is a big, noble looking tree. I love the crown and the huge drop branch.

So, my questions are these: is this a good design direction for this tree? Since hinokis are notoriously slow growers, am I right to stick to a shohin size? What am I not considering here?

Here are some better shots of the hinoki for good measure:

View attachment 390448

View attachment 390449

View attachment 390450

View attachment 390451

Thanks for reading and thanks for any feedback.Really nice hinoki. There are hinokis in Japan that are as tall, or taller than the pine you show. As I understand, most of the big wooden entrance structures in Japan are made from hinoki cypress.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
In the spirit of sharing with the community, I've decided it's time to start my first thread. I need a central place to document my trees' progress. And I figure if I can do that here, I'll have a better opportunity to learn from you all as I go along. My fascination with Bonsai began a long time ago but didn't get going in earnest until late 2020. I feel like it's always been something I thought about from time to time. But in December of last year, I decided I was going to dive in; so, I started reading, watching videos, paying attention to trees, and generally absorbing all the information I could. In early March, I bought my first tree and pretty much haven't stopped buying (and acquiring) trees since--nothing super expensive, mainly nursery stock and some pre-bonsai-type material. By and large, I've not styled much of anything, opting instead to make sure I could keep my trees alive (but also suffering from paralysis analysis, and not really knowing where to begin).

And so, here we are, the latter part of summer, and I've only killed a handful of trees. Even better, the only trees I killed were rescues that had little chance of surviving anyway. So far, I'd call it a success. I like the diversity of my collection and have found that I really enjoy the actual practice of Bonsai (despite deploying very few actual Bonsai techniques to date). Now, as I gear up for the upcoming winter and spring, I want to make sure I have at least a loosely laid plan for all of my trees. I will probably need to re-pot/up-pot nearly everything I have. That's what I will do in this thread. I will start with some current pictures of all of my trees and a brief description. Then I will take a deeper look at each tree in an attempt to formulate those all-important next steps. So, welcome to my garden, thanks for reading. Please feel free to share thoughts, feedback, critiques, funny quips, useful stories, or whatever suits your mood.

Without further ado, here are the stars of the show:

View attachment 390227
View attachment 390228
View attachment 390229
View attachment 390230

Below is a (mostly complete) list of what is on the benches and growing in my yard. The list is NOT in any particular order. Over the coming days and weeks, I will be posting details on each tree and my thoughts on its future:
  • Green Japanese Maple (from seed, unknown cultivar)
  • Soft-touch Holly
  • Hibiscus syriacus
  • Japanese hornbeam
  • Dawn redwood x 2
  • Japanese boxwood var. 'green beauty'
  • Winged spindle
  • Chinese elm var. 'seiju'
  • Trident maple
  • Box honeysuckle (lonicera nitida) x 3
  • European hornbeam
  • Chinese elm x 2
  • Willow leaf ficus x 5
  • Barbados cherry - rooted cuttings x 6 (courtesy of my good friend @JoeR)
  • Flowering serissa (also a gift from my friend @JoeR)
  • Lemon cypress x 3
  • Portulacaria afra x 2
  • Red maple
  • Calamondin orange
  • Grape vine (unknown cultivar)
  • Blue star juniper x 2
  • Hinoki Cypress var. 'Little John'
  • Japanese hemlock var. 'Loowit'
  • Blue spruce var. 'baby blue'
  • Azalea (Encore Autumn Bonfire)
  • Loblolly pine x 2
  • Cotoneaster (I think it's horizontalis but I'm not certain)
  • Mimosa x 2
  • Japanese black pine x 2
  • Parson's juniper
Not pictured here:
  • Eastern redbud x 2
  • Rosemary
  • Flowering dogwood x 2
  • Red Japanese Maple
  • Bald cypress
  • Wax myrtle
  • Hydrangea tardiva
In the cloche:
  • Cotoneaster cuttings
  • P. afra cuttings
  • Hybiscus syriacus cuttings
  • Red maple seedlings x 3
  • Pine seedlings x 2 (probably longleaf)
  • Water oak seedling (tap root and all)
Thanks for reading. I look forward to sharing my trees with you all. I also look forward to the banter.
That trampoline really ties the garden together

Top Bottom