elaeagnus ebbingei

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It budded back great new growth all over the thing is it safe to chop it back more now ? Or should i wait for spring?
Anyone experience with this species?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't plant it in the ground if you don't use for bonsai unless you want it to take over and volunteer everywhere...

I have one that grew up a 40' leyland cypress, it thinks it's a vine :rolleyes:o_O:oops:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Anyone ever tried elaeagnus ebbingei
For bonsai ?
Its evergreen
I got myself one but as usual i probably bought the wrong cultivar for bonsai lol

No they are good it's pretty much identical to elaeagnus pungens but no thorns.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No they are good it's pretty much identical to elaeagnus pungens but no thorns.

Ah cool thnx!
Pungens drops the leaves right ?

I think it has a base with some good options next spring ill repot into flat wooden box and select my trunkline's and maybe even some primary branches :D

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't plant it in the ground if you don't use for bonsai unless you want it to take over and volunteer everywhere...

I have one that grew up a 40' leyland cypress, it thinks it's a vine :rolleyes:o_O:oops:

Field maple does that too !

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a pretty happy looking mystery bush. I think you're smart to wait until next year to do further chopping. I got too excited this season myself and probably stressed out a couple promising trees

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Field maple does that too !
I can't wait for the day my two are big enough to have that problem!!! I finally found some this spring after years of searching!!!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can't wait for the day my two are big enough to have that problem!!! I finally found some this spring after years of searching!!!

Nice!
My neighbor has one growing trough and all over his fence and he said hes gonna remove it next year so i might ask him if he is willing to let me do some airlayers first and then ill help him remove the fence and the tree

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I have several little ones and about 5 that are maybe half inch... Nice little plants. I don't know about everyone but you do have to watch out for sun scald. That seems to be the biggest problem I have had with them so far.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I pruned this back hard in july 2017
It responded very well backbudded all over the plant

I am looking allot at the plant to plan and set it on its bonsai journey in spring and noticed this:
The old growth was produced in a shaded area in the nursery i bought it
The new growth wich grew in my backyard is from a full sunny spot and the leaves are way smaller and some are even smaller then the one i picked for the photo

20180129_140642.jpg

One of my concerns was leaf reduction if i wanted shohin(or slightly larger) size but seeing this it might be doable considered it will be more ramified than it is atm

Top Bottom