Elaeagnus pungens - Silverberry

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi All.

I have had this Silverberry for just over 10 years when I got it as a birthday present.

Sept 2008
10451024_365781763602930_3900378638045136032_n.jpg

In 2014, I tried to bend the left branch inwards but even after trunk splitting it, I realised that was a bad idea and the bend did not look natural at all.

10257592_396311700549936_2290378405228884757_o.jpg

Eventually in 2015 I realized that the branches were too straight and the only way to move forward was to cut them all back to one branch. I had a new bud develop lower down and I left that to grow to become a new branch for the canopy.

12094740_490808934433545_4156717106469549402_o.jpg

I have left it to grow to allow the right hand side branch to thicken up. I have also left a small branch to grow downwards on the right hand side.

43038248_1059782374202862_6406845755310473216_n.jpg

I know this will never be a great bonsai but I want to develop it to the best possible options.

My questions are thus and would love to get some input into this species.

1. Do the leaves reduce?
2. Can one defoliate the tree - If that will assist in reducing leaf size.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated on this tree.

Thanks
D

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple I'm playing with keeping shohin size. The branches insist on growing absolutely straight so you either have to wire early or repeatedly cut back hard to get some movement. They do bud back very well. As for the leaf size, I cut off all the large leaves on a regular basis. Not sure yet if the leaves reduce or if I'm just seeing the get big more slowly. There's always more than enough foliage so I don't miss the large leaves I remove. Seems to tolerate root work very well.

KeithE

Yamadori
Reaction score
1. Do the leaves reduce?
2. Can one defoliate the tree - If that will assist in reducing leaf size.
Hi. Silverberry, also known as Gumi, is a greatly underappreciated and underutilized species. I was introduced to these by Kaede Bonsai and they are popular in Japan. The leaves on most varieties will naturally be over 2in and floppy, but they can be reduced. It may just be the photo angle, but your earlier pictures appear to have much smaller leaves than recent photos.
After the initial spring flush of growth, cut the new growth back hard to one or two leaves. Then cut most of the remaining leaves in half and completely remove the largest leaves. Sometimes they are fully defoliated for shows so that is also possible.
Your tree has great potential. If you compress it into a smaller tree, the base would make it very interesting.

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi. Silverberry, also known as Gumi, is a greatly underappreciated and underutilized species. I was introduced to these by Kaede Bonsai and they are popular in Japan. The leaves on most varieties will naturally be over 2in and floppy, but they can be reduced. It may just be the photo angle, but your earlier pictures appear to have much smaller leaves than recent photos.
After the initial spring flush of growth, cut the new growth back hard to one or two leaves. Then cut most of the remaining leaves in half and completely remove the largest leaves. Sometimes they are fully defoliated for shows so that is also possible.
Your tree has great potential. If you compress it into a smaller tree, the base would make it very interesting.
Thanks so much Keith. I have left it to grow so that could be the reason for the larger leaves. Slowly but surely I am trying to develop the right hand side trunk to get the thickness to look correct.

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a couple I'm playing with keeping shohin size. The branches insist on growing absolutely straight so you either have to wire early or repeatedly cut back hard to get some movement. They do bud back very well. As for the leaf size, I cut off all the large leaves on a regular basis. Not sure yet if the leaves reduce or if I'm just seeing the get big more slowly. There's always more than enough foliage so I don't miss the large leaves I remove. Seems to tolerate root work very well.
Thanks so much for the feedback. Appreciate it

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You have successfully added movement and interest to the right side. Nice. Now the left, that continues past the right is too heavy. Rather than growing the right side out, consider removing the left, past the right branch. Grow a new left side. This will unify the taper reduction, and compress overall size of the tree.

Just a thought.

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You have successfully added movement and interest to the right side. Nice. Now the left, that continues past the right is too heavy. Rather than growing the right side out, consider removing the left, past the right branch. Grow a new left side. This will unify the taper reduction, and compress overall size of the tree.

Just a thought.
Thanks so much for the feedback Leo

Very good idea. Never thought of that. Maybe I should cut it back to remove all the leave and see where the best new bud develops and use that.

Thoughts?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

Very good idea. Never thought of that. Maybe I should cut it back to remove all the leave and see where the best new bud develops and use that.

Thoughts?
It is springtime in your area, so yes, I would do the cut back now. It should respond well to defoliation, though I don't have much Elaeagnus experience. It looks quite healthy right now. Go for it.

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Its on the right path i think Nice work

I got one too
Leaves reduce well enough
@JudyB has a nice shohin :D

Heres the thread on my elaeagnus maybe there is helpfull info in the thread
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/elaeagnus-ebbingei.28365/#post-490430

Heres a pic of a bigger leave and a new way smaller leaf as example:
View attachment 212305
Thanks so much for the info. Definitely going to start work on getting the leaf size smaller

KeithE

Yamadori
Reaction score

Thoughts?
Just keep in mind, defoliation is typically reserved for finished/matured trees or those being prepared to show. If you would like to continue developing/building the tree's structure, defoliation may hinder your efforts. But if you are only interested in smaller leaves, defoliation is definitely a good strategy.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just keep in mind, defoliation is typically reserved for finished/matured trees or those being prepared to show. If you would like to continue developing/building the tree's structure, defoliation may hinder your efforts. But if you are only interested in smaller leaves, defoliation is definitely a good strategy.

It also helps in building ramification right

KeithE

Yamadori
Reaction score
It also helps in building ramification right
Full defoliation might encourage back budding. Certainly won't hurt a healthy tree, but I have never done it so I cannot confirm or recommend. As you saw with your own Elaegnus, they will back bud nicely after a simple pruning. Next spring I will defoliate my own tree and report the results.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Full defoliation might encourage back budding. Certainly won't hurt a healthy tree, but I have never done it so I cannot confirm or recommend. As you saw with your own Elaegnus, they will back bud nicely after a simple pruning. Next spring I will defoliate my own tree and report the results.

Yes ive noticed :D
Mines still in trunk and nebari building for at least the first 5 year i think for sure so leave reduction is for later :)
But i mean defoliation in general improves ramification i tought right?

Top Bottom