Electric Bonsai carving tool kit

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi: What is the best electric Dremel or “Dremel-type” wood carving kit to get for carving on Bonsais? Thank you very much.

Shane R.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have used Dremel for years… As far as carving goes there are hundreds of different options for bits. Both those manufactured by Dremel and those made by third party company’s have always worked well for me with Bonsai as well as woodworking in general.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dremel and other similar tools are great for small detail work. For heavier duty carving and major wood removal, go for a Makita die grinder or equivalent. there are a variety of bits you can buy depending on what you want to do.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
That's right. It really depends on what sort of carving you expect to do.
I've killed 3 rotary tools now. The dremel size is good for smaller and detailed work but cannot remove bulk wood. I've tried Dremel, Ozito and Ryobi.
For that I use an arbortec mini blade but it can be a little difficult in tight spaces. At some stage I plan to also get a die grinder and some larger bits to see how they perform.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I bought a $40 Harbor Freight die grinder and a set of $6.00 rotary rasps and they work fine. The die grinder actually impresses me at how vibration free and powerful it is. For the 1/2 hour or so of carving I do a year, I figure this system will hold up well.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is the tool of professional jewelers and carvers. It has a lot of torque which dremel and dremel like tools lack.
The hand piece is small and will reach where a die grinder won’t go. Variable speed 0-20,000 rpm at full torque.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought a $40 Harbor Freight die grinder and a set of $6.00 rotary rasps and they work fine. The die grinder actually impresses me at how vibration free and powerful it is. For the 1/2 hour or so of carving I do a year, I figure this system will hold up well.
That’s exactly what I was hoping to read as I’ve been considering carving for awhile now. Thanks Joe

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have both Dremel and Proxxon machines.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have an ancient Dremel, which works well for me because my trees are almost all small and non-conifer—that is to say, not a lot of heavy deadwood carving.
A lesson I’ve learned, as always, the hard way, is that a Dremel needs to turn much faster to be as effective as some of the more industrial tools with bigger bits and more torque. High speed equals a lot of heat, which equals dead adjacent cambium.
Auto-complete is the spawn of Satan.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score

did you get the pneumatic one? Or the electric one? Mind sharing a pic or model number?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's the electric model: Chicago Electric sku 60656 4.3 amp 1/4" corded. I used it this evening. Still smooth as silk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an ancient Dremel, which works well for me because my trees are almost all small and non-conifer—that is to say, not a lot of heavy deadwood carving.
A lesson I’ve learned, as always, the hard way, is that a Dremel needs to turn much faster to be as effective as some of the more industrial tools with bigger bits and more torque. High speed equals a lot of heat, which equals dead adjacent cambium.
Auto-complete is the spawn of Satan.
Thank you. Very helpful. I got the cordless Dremel yesterday with high speed. But I’ll be careful on my pet trees. Shane

San Franpsycho

Sapling
Reaction score
I was tempted by the cordless too, but instead I went for the more powerful model plus a flexible shaft. My trees aren't in exotic locations, I don't really need the cordless. So I concluded it adds expense while somewhat limiting functionality (less power and I believe less variety in collet availability.)
I got the dremel 4300 w/some Dremel bits and also some others and i love it. You do need to stay aware of limitations, as others have mentioned. cut anything you can with saws or even a regular drill. use the high speed Dremel just for final layers and detail work, and anything the bigger tools might be in danger of buggering up. .. and stay aware of overheating your work. I'll even keep a mister handy at times. Never be in a hurry w/Bonsai! ;)

Top Bottom