Eleocarpus "Japanese Blueberry" Phatty

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Found this tree today. I think it has quite the potential. They do have big leaves but I know they use them in topiary. Leaf size should reduce from what I've seen in well maintained landscapes. Has a 7" base and a nice nebari. Aslo has a well placed first branch, plenty of other branches to work with and nice natural taper. No major pruning scars either. Just the chop at the very top. Thing weighs about 100lbs. Gotta reduce the roots so I can move it around and eventually get it into a bonsai pot. I'll post pics once I root prune tonight. 0407171735.jpg 0407171513.jpg

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Repotting and first styling complete. I'll let the roots grow out a bit. Guess these grow very fast. So probably another hard root prune and repot next year. Once the tree recovers, I'll start working the first branch's structure. The leader and the other branches need to thicken. I'll let them grow. They should put some weight on fairly quick. The trunk chop will be carved in the future.
I'll keep this thread updated as it progresses. 0407172129.jpg 0407172132.jpg 0407172231.jpg

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have one. Hasnt gone too well for me. They put out thick shoots and grow long internodes very fast. Min20160519_174529.jpg e is completely root bound and has shown no significant difference in leaf size. If i could go bsck in time i would have not made the purchase.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I have one. Hasnt gone too well for me. They put out thick shoots and grow long internodes very fast. MinView attachment 140156 e is completely root bound and has shown no significant difference in leaf size. If i could go bsck in time i would have not made the purchase.
That's too bad. Honestly, doesn't look like you give it much attention.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Truth speaks...

What I said out loud....
Though spelled differently....

HaoleFu@k!

Sorce

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
You see that big chop? It was recovering from that. I dont think it is usable as a species for bonsai. I hsve heard that there is a dwarf cultivar that may be better. Ill try to post some newer pics

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
You see that big chop? It was recovering from that. I dont think it is usable as a species for bonsai. I hsve heard that there is a dwarf cultivar that may be better. Ill try to post some newer pics
And it stays close to the oak tree because that sob is probably 150lbs +. I had to use a chainfall attached to an oak limb wrapped around the trunk to lift it for repotting.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Local blueberry around my way have tight internodes n small leaves thinking about trying one

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
And it stays close to the oak tree because that sob is probably 150lbs +. I had to use a chainfall attached to an oak limb wrapped around the trunk to lift it for repotting.
How do they respond to pruning?
Can you prune the tips as soon as the emerge?
Have you cut back behind leaves and does it back bud?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Back buds like crazy when you prune hard if its healthy. The problem is that the internodal length from the first leaf set keeps getting longer as the shoot lengthens. If you cut it too early then the branch will just regrow a leader from the nearest node. So you have to wait until it is semi woodi to cut back for ramification which takes forever. They grow so fast I think anything with a reasonable amount of structure is not attainable. Probably would be best just hedging it into shape.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
20170411_181829.jpg

Here is the other side as of today. Heavy cutback last week. I will try to let the leader continue growing until it looks better or I get tired of it and it becomes firewood or yard planted.

Top Bottom