Elm bonsai

Reaction score
I found a elm sapling that was kind of odd and I'm wondering if i could make it a bonsai, it was growing in an old stump and it is 3 sapling fused together (it had 3 taproots) im wondering if it is a good bonsai tree.20200820_203452.jpg

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is not a "bonsai tree." It's a seedling in a nursery container (looks like a one-gallon). You can make it into a bonsai. Plant it in the ground, let it grow for 3-5 years, chopping it back from time to time, then you'll be ready to lift and shape it and consider when to pot into a bonsai container. There's plenty of information on this forum about growing out immature stock. Spend some time researching so you'll know what to do with this specimen. For now, it's just an elm in a pot. Oh, and you need to get yourself about 50 more trees so you won't be tempted to "bonsai" this one. Trees don't like too much love. Good luck!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I second the @Zach Smith advice - if you’re able to, it would do this tree well to live in the ground for a while. But, if that’s not an option for you, there’s no harm in keeping it in your pot and hoping it survives the winter. Which shouldn’t be too bad in your area.
As far as whether or not it’s a “good bonsai tree,” like mentioned, this particular tree wouldn’t meet the definition for most (although in time it could). But, the species is a decent species for bonsai. I’m not sure what elm species you have in your area, but it looks like a slippery elm to me - might be an American elm though.
Either way, check out Nigel Saunders and Heron Bonsai on YouTube. Learn all you can and ask questions! Good luck!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
is 3 sapling fused together (it had 3 taproots

Doubt it was 3.
Does show the very real mirroring of the top the bottom does. Especially Elm.

I would never bother with these roots, except maybe cutting some off for root cuttings somewhere down the line.

Just grow it out with a plan to layer yourself a new set of roots.

Sorce

Top Bottom