Elm clump

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Several years ago I dug a florida elm stump from the side of the road. Within a couple of years, the cut roots sent out sprouts which I also collected. This clump is the result of one of them.

When first collected, it went into the grond for two years where it barely survived due to rabbits keeping the new growth chewed back. It's been growing in a small, shallow, screened bottom box for the last year and I decided to pot it up this week.

The clump is nothing special and needs more training and ramification but I enjoy working with these elms so another year may show some improvement.

The second pic was taken with the jawbone of a horse for size comparison.
:rolleyes:

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Attachments

• P2140065.jpg
    P2140065.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 268
  • P2140066.jpg
    P2140066.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 206

Ken Duncan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jay, I like this clump very much. This material has nice bark color and texture. What size are the leaves and do they have Fall color? Maybe You can post a pic of it in leaf soon. Good work.
Ken

Tiberious

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice. The arrangement looks really natural, you did a great job with this composition. I love elms as well, probably my most favorite.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be pleased to have this group in my collection. If they were mine, I'd try to get rid of the large branch on the left hand side tree... it seems out of proportion. I would also put some space between (what I thinkk) are primary tree #1 and #2, and trees #3 and #4 where one tree obscure much of the trunk of the tree behind it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a very nice group.

The center bothers me, the straightness of the trunks and lack of any branching leaves a "V" right dead center that holds the eye. Maybe if the second Branch on the main tree was bent to the center instead of so dramatically to the right, this problem could be solved. In fact, I believe doing so would round out the arrangement nicely.

Other than that, this is a natural looking composition which presents an image of "treeness" in a very successful manner.

I also would like to see this in leaf.

Will

Last edited:

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jay,

I think you have the makings of a very nice clump style composition.

Could you verify the number of trunks. From the posted pictures, there appear to be six.

The Florida elm is an interesting species to grow as bonsai. It has many desirable traits.

Attached is a current picture of one that I am working on.

Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0062a.JPG
    IMG_0062a.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 126

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Sweet tree Jay. Would you consider bringing one of these elms in to the meeting next week for "show and tell"? It is always nice to see them in person and up close.

By the way congrats on the bonsai pots....

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks folks for your kind words.
I think this is a nice little clump also.... But not good. It's got a ways to go before it can be called good. Maybe another year, but then I say that every year about all my trees and then, a year later, they always seem to need at least another year.:(

Ken,
The leaves are a couple of inches long in the wild but, so far, on some trees, I've managed to reduce them to mostly under 1/2 inch. I haven't really had any in small pots long enough to really see how far they will reduce but I think 1/4 inch is doable.
Yes, here in Florida they do have fall color......Green :D Though seriously, they do have a few leaves that get a nice yellow. If we ever have winter again the leaves may actually turn color and fall off on their own. I generally have to remove them myself for the winter/spring styling work.

Barry,
You know, I hadn't really noticed the left branch until you pointed it out. It is a bit large, but being the first branch, it needs a little size, so I'm not sure about it being out of proportion. It does need something though so I wired it to give it some movement. Maybe that will help. Time will tell and I can always remove it later.

As far as putting space between some of the trunks, can't do it. The base of this clump is fused together. (see pic)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Will,
I agree the center needs something. Actually, when I potted it I had let the clump rotate too far left and the seventh tree was hidden. I rotated it a few degrees to the right and I think it helped.
That limb on the main tree..... I looked at it for a while, considering you suggestion. I didn't like the artifical looking bend at the trunk and decided to just cut it off. I expect it to break some new buds at the old collar and maybe one of these will make a better branch.

Paul,
The first picture did only show six trunks but there is seven.
Yeah, I love florida elms. They are almost indestructable and easy to work with. You see results in a short time compared to some other trees.
I like your elm, got any pictures with it in leaf?

Graydon,
Thanks, I might bring one Thursday.....
Yeah, I finally broke down and bought some pots. I have yet to get a feel for pots and trees so I just got a few that looked good online. I got tired of posting trees only in boxes.:)

Well, everyone had good and needed suggestions so, after looking for awhile, I made some changes.

I rotated it slightly to the right and raised it slightly in the pot, wired some branches, cut off the first limb on the main tree and the first branch on the far right tree (I thought it was too big). I also trimmed it back some to help with the ramification and allow room for twigs to grow out with out getting too shaggy.

Here are the results. First pic is with the tree rotated. Second picture is how it looks at the moment.
Third is a look at the base and the last is the back.

Thanks again for all your thoughts and suggestions.

P.S. Sorry about the horse jaw thing....It seemed funny to me at the time.:eek:

The clump stands 10 inches above the pot rim.

Attachments

• P2160085.jpg
    P2160085.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 91
  • P2160104.jpg
    P2160104.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 99
  • P2160103.jpg
    P2160103.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 89
  • P2160100.jpg
    P2160100.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 104

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jay,

I like what you have done very much.

The compostition looks better with all seven trunks showing. Normally, I am not a trunk counter. However, when I looked at the first set of photos, it just seemed off for some reason. That's why I enquired about the number of trunks.

Please post a picture when it leafs out.

Attached is a photo of mine with leaves taken in June of 2007.

Best wishes,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0014a.JPG
    IMG_0014a.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 97

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice elm group. The pot seems a bit too deep though. Ever thought about something half or even a quarter as shallow?

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice elm Paul. It's a little too tall for my tastes but if you're happy with it so am I. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Mark, this pot is the best I could do this year. Maybe next year for a shallower pot. I don't know about a quarter as small though.....

riprap

Sapling
Reaction score
You know, I hadn't really noticed the left branch until you pointed it out. It is a bit large, but being the first branch, it needs a little size, so I'm not sure about it being out of proportion. It does need something though so I wired it to give it some movement. Maybe that will help. Time will tell and I can always remove it later.

The left branch is the lowest profile branch of the group; so it can be fairly large. Considering the left-hand tree only (as if it were a solo tree), that branch might be proportionally a bit heavy. But when the group is considered as a unit, it is not only proportionate sets a graceful tone. The branch just below it, coming toward us, bothers me more.

I'm late to the party on this discussion, but I think it is a very promising young bonsai.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Update

Here is a picture of the clump in leaf from june 2008 and one from earlier this month with the last of the leaves.

I'll repot in a few days into the same pot... haven't got another.

Attachments

• P6060112.jpg
    P6060112.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 91
  • P2080062.jpg
    P2080062.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 105

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
What a cool little group!! I really like the most recent picture. Very nice work friend....

Thanks for sharing.

Jason

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Jay you really have an eye for balance and a very natural look. This arrangement is quite peaceful and easy on the eye, I think even more so when you get it a tad shallower.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Jason and Milehigh,
Thanks to both of you. I did have a little help in some of the styling :)

I wish I had a shallower pot for it, but I waited too long this year before I got aroung to ordering any. Maybe next year.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice Jay!

Tiberious

Yamadori
Reaction score
This is a very beautiful clump, very natural. Thanks for the update!

Top Bottom