Elm Disease?

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can anyone help identify what this black area in the 3 o' clock position of this crossection of a collected American Elm is?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 47

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can anyone help identify what this black area in the 3 o' clock position of this crossection of a collected American Elm is?

Looks normal to me. The cut looks rough but the tree looks ok :rolleyes:

Grimmy

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dunno what to tell you.

What I see at 3 o'clock is a dark patch on the margin of the heartwood. The heartwood is simply structural; the xylem has been plugged and filled with various compounds. Water and mineral transport occurs only in the lighter colored sap wood and, as far as this is concerned, more is carried in the outermost rings, where everything looks fine.

Perhaps a few more sections at other places along the length of the severed branch you are holding will tell more of a story.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're asking if your tree has Dutch Elm Disease, the answer is no. Your tree is much too small to get the infection which is mostly carried by beetles. Those beetles don't much bother with sapling elms, preferring larger more mature trunks to dig into.

Your tree looks fine to me.

Chad D

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you're asking if your tree has Dutch Elm Disease, the answer is no. Your tree is much too small to get the infection which is mostly carried by beetles. Those beetles don't much bother with sapling elms, preferring larger more mature trunks to dig into.

Your tree looks fine to me.

Thanks for all the replies.

I was concerned with a systemic 'black rot' fungal infection. My knowledge of tree physiology and pathophysiology is nill. I'm still looking for a nice relatively concise reference book.

Top Bottom