Elm ground layer....success in question. Advice?

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Attached is obviously an edit, not a physical photo but I think it gets the point across. (I didnt take pictures. Blame it on excitement mixed with fear)

I've been letting this elm go for a few weeks and saw a root poking through the split in the upper container so I had to take a peek....well, I'm glad I did. I have 2 main roots, and a couple more smaller ones coming out through the bark. But.....I have none where the tree was reduced and had a wire girdle.

Should those upper roots be cut to induce rooting at the preferred location or should I let it ride seeing as how those are the only connected roots?

Attachments

• 1559011867-picsay.jpg
    1559011867-picsay.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 50

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Keep them as long as they are reasonably close to the plane of your intended future 'ground surface'. You can always shorten the bit of trunk underneath later.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A couple of new roots in the wrong spot should not cause harm for some time and they will probably help the tree to grow more new roots where you want them. Long term thick roots above the main roots can cause thickening but that takes a year or so no need to worry just yet.
Probably a good reminder not to bury layers too deep. Most trees prefer to have roots just under the surface so that's where they seem to grow best.

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@0soyoung the roots are a ways off from where I would like, the ground level of the original was really strange...not sure if it was a graft or had grown through something, but everything other than the initial 1 1/2-2" of the trunk i really liked. @Shibui I was thinking something similar... Let what roots have sprouted stay for a little while to help the top keep its strength and cross fingers I get some lower where I want them, eliminate the unwanted, higher roots later.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So you may need to do as @Shibui suggests, not pot it so deeply, @Tommykeolle. Some ulmus will generate adventitious roots from just about any area that is continually kept damp.

At this point, it may not be possible to accomplish, so for 'next time'; replacing the tourniquet and removing a ring of bark from that point downward will help. In my experience, the conventional girdled stem will more reliably produce adventitious roots where you want them than the tourniquet method of layering.

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
understood, I didn't even think about potting it too deep. Live and learn...or....experiment a few times to see what happens... But that's how we learn, right?!

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just and update. I decided to use a "go for gold" approach with all of the constant talk about elms being resilient. Cut ever so slightly higher up, gave the ring under the removed layers a good scrape, removed some of the soil from the layering pot, and about a month later (now) i have roots coming out of the bottom and through the split in the side of the pot where it was cut to get around the trunk. We're making roots!

Top Bottom