Elm identification and weird growths.

ironliver316

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought a couple of these little guys for a group planting. The grower wasn't sure what kind of elm, but I'm assuming Chinese. Any thoughts? And they all have this chalky grey/green growth (fungus?). What is it and how do I get rid of it? And last question, what is the black growth on the nodes, (is it related to the gray/green stuff?) and how do I treat that? I'd like to go back and get a couple more, but not if this is a major problem that's going to kill these trees.

Attachments

• 20211118_215517.jpg
    20211118_215517.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211118_215611.jpg
    20211118_215611.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20211118_215547.jpg
    20211118_215547.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20211118_224226.jpg
    20211118_224226.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 86

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Even with so few leaves I'd be confident that you have Chinese elms. Hard to tell from the leaves at this stage but the long, straight growth habit looks very much like the variety called Seiju.
The lumpy nodes are a regular feature of many Chinese elms. The good news is that Seiju develops corky bark which should cover up any of these that are left on the trunk after pruning.
Hard pruning is my preferred method to get trees with better bends and taper in the trunk so I expect that most of what you see now will be chopped off at some stage.

ironliver316

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Even with so few leaves I'd be confident that you have Chinese elms. Hard to tell from the leaves at this stage but the long, straight growth habit looks very much like the variety called Seiju.
The lumpy nodes are a regular feature of many Chinese elms. The good news is that Seiju develops corky bark which should cover up any of these that are left on the trunk after pruning.
Hard pruning is my preferred method to get trees with better bends and taper in the trunk so I expect that most of what you see now will be chopped off at some stage.
Thanks for the response. I'm very meticulous about documenting all my trees, down to the variety, so that helps a lot. But no ideas on what the gray/green stuff is? I need to know if I need to quarantine these from my other trees.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Oh. Now I see the lichen on the trunks. I missed that when I looked first.
Lichen does not actually hurt the trees but if you don't like the look the vinegar will certainly kill it. I usually use vinegar diluted with equal parts water and it is still plenty strong enough to kill mosses and lichens.
It may take some scrubbing to get it all off but even the stubborn bits will disappear with some time after vinegar treatment.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Personally, I love lichen. It adds an interesting look of age, IMHO, especially when the bark is otherwise uninteresting.

ironliver316

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Personally, I love lichen. It adds an interesting look of age, IMHO, especially when the bark is otherwise uninteresting.
Now that I know it's harmless, I really wouldn't mind it. But it's just so thick in some areas that it's giving an inverse taper look in places.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
If you live in a clean air zone the lichen will probably survive but it cannot tolerate air pollution of modern cities and industrial areas.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could be alot of things causing those lumps (which aren't lichen--the lichen is growing on them) could be regular kind of node swelling that cultivars such as seiju get, or could some kind of bark infection...Would be helpful to know where these came from and what variety they are...Lichen and hereditary features are harmless, gall infections aren't.

Top Bottom