Elm identification help - cedar elm?

jI-tx

Seedling
Reaction score
Is this a cedar elm? If its not, can you help me to understand how to identify it?

20190324_093805.jpg

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It could be a cedar elm. When the leaves are fully mature the upper surface will be dull and rough to the touch. Try sliding a leaf between thumb and forefinger. If you can only get it to move in one direction, it is probably cedar elm.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a cedar elm. Oblong shape of some of the leaves is a definite marker for CE. Also Cedar elm is the most common elm in Texas. It's the one you're most likely to run in to, especially in East Texas. All the trees in this photo (Except the bullpine in the front left) , including the tangle of underbrush behind the single trunks, are cedar elm. Photo is from my parents' place up in Tyler. Typical habitat. CE is a weed in East Texas :)

dadelm2.jpg

Last edited:

jI-tx

Seedling
Reaction score
Awesome, guys. Thanks for the help.

It does feel slightly rough, but hard to know if that me being sensitive because I want it to be a Cedar Elm too! :) Even if it wasn't a Cedar Elm, I could still try and make a bonsai from it? Just want something local with plenty of "spares" for when I kill or experiment I don't have to be concerned.

Top Bottom