Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still deciding weather to repot it with no root cutting in better soil

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good looking tree Paul. I bet it looks good with foliage.
The wind must be pretty bad to have to strap it down.

Around here if the wind get that bad it's usually a tornado.
Good thing about a tornado is the fairly narrow path.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good looking tree Paul. I bet it looks good with foliage.
The wind must be pretty bad to have to strap it down.

Around here if the wind get that bad it's usually a tornado.
Good thing about a tornado is the fairly narrow path.

Thank you, this is the first season for me and this tree so going into growing season ;-) we had a storm this week so strapped as a precaution mainly.

Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Still deciding weather to repot it with no root cutting in better soil
I think really depends when you last did it, if was last year I would wait at least another season before doing it again.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a nice looking tree, well done. Soil looks ok from what I can see, at least the top looks good.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a nice looking tree, well done. Soil looks ok from what I can see, at least the top looks good.

Thanks the top is Akadama and under is a gritty soil type that seems to drain good

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well it's not leafed out yet so you could probably do it safely, but you will have to disturb the roots of course to get the old soil off it. Elms are tough little guys, if it was happy last growing season, then you should be fine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well it's not leafed out yet so you could probably do it safely, but you will have to disturb the roots of course to get the old soil off it. Elms are tough little guys, if it was happy last growing season, then you should be fine.

This tree was in japan last season so the guy recommended to look after it for this season then repot

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great! Get ready to prune like crazy this season. Get into some of @Smoke threads on elms, or really any deciduous. He gives the straight deal on how to deal with these crazy growers. Enjoy your new acquisition, and update as it fills in.?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great! Get ready to prune like crazy this season. Get into some of @Smoke threads on elms, or really any deciduous. He gives the straight deal on how to deal with these crazy growers. Enjoy your new acquisition, and update as it fills in.?

I heard they are crazy growers ;-) I'll stalk @Smoke haha

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice looking elm. I have some that look like this also. I wouldn't worry about repotting this year. Elms will grow in any soil as long as its not concrete. If it drains the tree will do just fine.

I am just a realist and don't fall in so much with all the hype about soil and tools and fertilizer, apex shapes, and overall techniques. I am into WHAT WORKS BEST FOR ME, and if thats not repotting this year, then repot it next year. If you don't have a certain hyped soil component, substitute something you can get that works for you in your area. Using what someone does in some state USA means nothing to you in Ireland.

It is a given that on a world wide bonsai discussion forum you will get a myriad of suggestions and some will be pretty darn militant about Why you have to "follow their ideas about bonsai or your doomed to failure". My suggestion, pursue the forum for its comical value and entertainment. If you get caught up in all the back and fourth, then you become part of the entertainment.

If I were to offer one nugget of advice it would be to watch the top. Elms are very apical, and the top will get so dense and the bottom will get weaker and weaker. Prune and thin the top out extensively and allow the bottom to run. It needs strength and looks pretty weak. Currently the canopy is flame shaped and thats the wrong look for an elm. Thats due to the bottom being weak. Keep at it, its a nice tree.

Top Bottom