Elm January Repotting Question

swatchpost

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi everyone! Happy New Year!
So I have a Chinese elm that has decided, with the spring-like conditions we’ve had in Texas over the past months, to bud out and give it’s full spring flush of growth now, as in January 4, a good two months early.
I was planning on a full repot for it with all new soil this spring. Is it too late to do that now? There are still buds breaking all over the tree, but some growth is already creating small soft tertiary branches.
Thanks for your help!
Yusef

Reaction score
I believe it’s safe with Chinese elms. Just make sure to protect it for a while specially if you got temperature swings.
I’ve repotted mine both in leaf (September) and without-ish (mine never really sheds all its leaves). It never seems to bother.

swatchpost

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe it’s safe with Chinese elms. Just make sure to protect it for a while specially if you got temperature swings.
I’ve repotted mine both in leaf (September) and without-ish (mine never really sheds all its leaves). It never seems to bother.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, it's basically been living in garden soil (not my doing), and need to get it out of that asap. Just never imagined it'd think it was springtime in January...

swatchpost

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just did that exact thing not long ago with a Chinese Elm. So far so good! The buds have already opened up and it's trying really hard to grow those leaves.

Look at Nov 9, 2021 and later.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/chinese-elm-has-brown-spots.52466/
Nice! Thanks for the link; looks like you've had good luck with yours! I guess I should expect this elm to not really go into dormancy. It's the first winter season I've had it, so I'm not used to its habits :)

Top Bottom