Elm question

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey all,
My chinese elms leaves are turning yellow
Its very odd too, since I'm wondering if it's dormancy time or not, no changes to watering which has kept it going for a while, absolutely no change but all the sudden all the leaves are yellowing. What's this?20191023_165211.jpg

Attachments

• 20191023_165216.jpg
    20191023_165216.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 6

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, it is almost November...are other trees turning fall color down there?

Interestingly, my Chinese elm is just about the only deciduous tree in my collection that has not started turning color yet.

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, it is almost November...are other trees turning fall color down there?

Interestingly, my Chinese elm is just about the only deciduous tree in my collection that has not started turning color yet.
That's the odd part, it seems that one part of Dallas trees are turning fall colors and the other half aren't, the elm is the only tree in my collection that is preparing for dormancy while everything else is okay as usual.
Sorry if I sound like a total noob it's actually my first fall with my collection

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t have Chinese Elms....just American Elms. However, my Elms do the yellow leaf changing just about the time for dormancy to begin. On my Elms it’s like yours...random yellow leaves. The buds are good though. In my climate it starts in August. I just continue to water and treat the tree as I normally would. But I don’t know if that applies to your tree or not. I think it does though.

My Elms tend to hold onto to their green leaves long into autumn to about the first snowfall. The yellow leaves just hang in there and eventually you can touch the leaf and it will fall. Some of the Elm tree leaves turn a nice golden brown....attractive really....inconsistent from tree to tree though. I haven’t figured out why though. It can sometimes be winter and the Elms still have leaves....show-offs I guess.

Top Bottom