Elm, Rock, and mushrooms….Oh my

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
image.jpeg Wondering if anybody else has come across this… I am slowly starting to removing the soil around my Elm over rock composition . As I was pulling away soil I noticed a large cluster of mushrooms around the roots… They wedged themselves between the roots and between the roots and the rock . I freaked and remove the mushrooms before I took a picture. I'm wondering if my 60% organic's and 40% aggregate, new soil combination is keeping the soil too moist... But it seems to be drying thoroughly with in three days of watering. Anybody else ever have issues with mushrooms ? WTF!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 14

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fungus Man!!
Great idea for a new superhero, fungus man vs the elm monster.
I like to think of myself as a fun guy.

Hell yeah!

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 95676 Wondering if anybody else has come across this… I am slowly starting to removing the soil around my Elm over rock composition . As I was pulling away soil I noticed a large cluster of mushrooms around the roots… They wedged themselves between the roots and between the roots and the rock . I freaked and remove the mushrooms before I took a picture. I'm wondering if my 60% organic's and 40% aggregate, new soil combination is keeping the soil too moist... But it seems to be drying thoroughly with in three days of watering. Anybody else ever have issues with mushrooms ? WTF!

What exactly are the issues your mushroom are causing? Mushrooms are not necessarily a symptom of something wrong, could well be symbiotic and healthy relationship with the roots. Identifying the shrooms is probably the best way to discover if they are parasitic or beneficial, if they come again, take pics and a spore print, pics of the cap, stem and gills. They may be a difficult to I.D. LBM (little brown mushroom) , but you never know.
Look to the health of the tree and the state of the soil, if all appears well don't worry about your shrooms.
The soil does seem a bit on the retentive side to me, tree looks happy enough from the pic though.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks @wireme for the reply!

issues your mushroom are causing?
They were growing in between the roots and appeared to be pushing them apart... also they were pushing the roots away from the rock... or at least wedging its self in that location.

Look to the health of the tree and the state of the soil, if all appears well don't worry about your shrooms.
Everything does look healthy.... think I freaked more because I couldn't tell if they were growing into the roots or not.

The soil does seem a bit on the retentive side to me, tree looks happy enough from the pic though.
I had just watered before I noticed the shrooms... strange this morning the soil is fairly dry.

Also we don't see much fungi here in the desert.... usually when you do its in rotten wood that's constantly wet.

If it comes back Ill definitely take pics! But they don't look like the "Good Kind".... or the ones that make you see rainbows and unicorns!o_O

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Everything does look healthy.... think I freaked more because I couldn't tell if they were growing into the roots or not.

Your substrate is damp and the plant looks good. The mushrooms are growing where they like to - in a damp dark place! I find it common here whenever I keep potted plants in dappled light. I just let them grow and they drop when our hot spell hits. No idea what kind they ever are and never saw them as a problem. Talking with my Wife there have been 3 maybe 4 different types. Call it nature!

Grimmy

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Call it nature!
Well... Tell nature to keep her shrooms too herself!! LOL They were actually growing in the portion of roots that I was exposing so they will all dry out at this point. Just interesting that I have never seen them before and this is the only tree that seemed to have them. I wonder if the plastic retaining pot had something to do with it.... keeping in more moisture and all! Hmmmmmm

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
SON OF A.......... LOL... Woke up this morning and more shrooms! Literally overnight.... a huge clump of them has grown and pushed my training pot apart. This time I got pics.
IMG_4200.JPG

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
image.jpeg Only an inch or so more of root to be exposed this season… Maybe it's time to just get rid of the training pot.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mushrooms are nothing more than the fruiting bodies of fungi. Mycchoriza are ALSO just fungi. Having fungi in your pot is nothing to worry about. Only a fraction of the fungi out there do any damage to living plants. In most cases fungi in your pot will help with the availability of nutrient, either indirectly through decomposition of organics, or directly as a symbiont.

Mushrooms generally are a good thing to have.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maybe it's time to just get rid of the training pot.

Honest I don't "think" they are anything more then a bother - have you tried to ID them? Perhaps they are edible...

Grimmy

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Mushrooms generally are a good thing to have.
Thanks for the reply! I was worried about what if they got between the root and rock.o_O But now the pot is gone.... I suppose it may make for a cool composition.

have you tried to ID them?
The Shaggy Mane

Coprinus comatus
Can eat them before they reach maturity.... like only 12 hours after they have broke the surface of the soil. HAHAHAHAHAH Talk about your spoilage timeframe!

elm over rock is looking pretty sweet.
Thanks!

Top Bottom