Elm Seedling ID

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Elm Seedlings.jpg Elm Seedlings Circled.jpg

Last year I collected some seedlings from the edge of a local parking lot. I sent a PM to @M. Frary a long time ago and he said to post a picture. (I hope I tagged him correctly, I want him to see this thread.) I'm finally doing as he suggested :)

I'm guessing most of the seedlings are Ulmus americana, but I'm not 100% certain. The seedling that's circled is the one I'm hoping you guys can ID. The serrations are a lot more rounded than other elm leaves I've seen and the leaves aren't as ridged/lined if that makes sense. I know the picture sucks, but I'm hoping it's good enough for people to get a sense of it. I can try to get a better picture tomorrow, but I'm limited to my cell phone camera. Maybe it isn't even an Elm and I'm way off base. Any thoughts?

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If young growth looks different, then I bet you're right. The branching off the stem looks exactly like Mike described a Siberian Elm in our PM, but the leaves didn't match so I wasn't sure. Thank you very much :)

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If young growth looks different, then I bet you're right. The branching off the stem looks exactly like Mike described a Siberian Elm in our PM, but the leaves didn't match so I wasn't sure. Thank you very much :)
I've got a couple hundred ulmus pumila seedlings from this year and last, in spring they will have a fast growth spurt and they'll have immature leaves, once the shoot extends to a certain point the leaves start to get larger and mature.

Aaron

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those ones with the smaller leaves are the Siberian elms.
Those little guys will grow like rockets and when you lift them the amount of roots will astound you.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Aaron and Mike. I'm thinking I'm going to hunt for more Siberian seedlings this spring. :)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been said that Siberian elms will drop branches. They are a pioneer species. I've yet to lose even a twig off of the couple I have. But that won't mean it won't happen sometime in the future. Be prepared that this may occur.
On the other hand they are used in Europe a lot for bonsai.
One thing I do know for sure is they are tough. They grow ultra fast. Backbud like crazy and three leaves reduce right down.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been said that Siberian elms will drop branches. They are a pioneer species. I've yet to lose even a twig off of the couple I have. But that won't mean it won't happen sometime in the future. Be prepared that this may occur.
On the other hand they are used in Europe a lot for bonsai.
One thing I do know for sure is they are tough. They grow ultra fast. Backbud like crazy and three leaves reduce right down.

Yeah...I don't see that happening either...
Though I may have some kind of hybrid.

As Judy says don't cut Hackberry after Julyish...cuz they lose fine twigs....
I could see that happening....

Cheers to summer digging...
Just do it with a full moon.
And your pants up!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New Bonsai goal for 2016...maybe 17...

Dig a tree buck naked!

Sorce
That will be an easy one to do. Drive there naked or disobedience at the tree? No hawthorn collecting though. The danger in that one makes me feel a little squeamish.
We will have to put those black bar things on our pictures like on AC/DC Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. Across our eyes right?

Top Bottom