Elm, Small Backyard Yamadori

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug up this elm in my yard yesterday. I tried unsuccessfully ground-layering the tree last year as it was growing within the roots of a privet and was a complete cluster-f&*k. I decided to remove the two and separate and place in containers. I'm guessing this is a Siberian, perhaps Slippery elm.

Attachments

• elm3-28-11.jpg
    elm3-28-11.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 132

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool little stump. I'd remove the two minor trunk on the right completely and go with the single trunk on the left. Good luck if it's a Siberian...

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Rockm. The two minor trunks will go. Using the one as a tie-down for now. Not much for roots on this one unfortunately, as it consisted of mainly a giant taproot. I've seen these growing like weeds colonizing along hedges, fences, etc. They start off with an orangy-red bark, leaves aren't as shiny as American elm and are somewhat rough. Wish I can properly ID.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't worry about roots, you will get them pretty quickly. It's an elm after all and almost every elm species is indestructible.

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was hoping to hear that kind of encouragement. Judging by the way I've ruthlessly hacked away at the top growth when they appear along hedges in the yard here (and they shot right back), I figured they were indestructible.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
That my friend is going to be a fantastic Shohin. Think sumo Trident and you get where I'm going with this.

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Cquinn. If the leaves of this guy reduce a lot, that's the way I see it headed. Out in the wild (in the neighborhood) the leaves are much too large. BUT...then again, I've mainly seen them competing against large hedges for light.

Top Bottom