elm stump

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
i got this elm stump bout 2 years ago. its been in development since. i picked it up at a handymans sort of store (bunnings, dont know if you guys have that over in the US). $130 was what i paid for it, it dint have any ramification or structure so that is what i have been working on for the past couple of years. trying to get some development.

any ideas and thoughts appreciated.

this is what i have got to so far. the virtual is where i am thinking of going with it but if you have other ideas feel free to do a virtual. its always good to get other ideas cos eventually you get blinkers on sometimes.

regards jamie

chinese elm by the way. ulmus parvifola

Attachments

• elm.jpg
    elm.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 251
  • elmlhs.jpg
    elmlhs.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 245
  • elmrear.jpg
    elmrear.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 177
  • elmrhs.jpg
    elmrhs.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 171
  • elm.1..jpg
    elm.1..jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
sorry bout the background to. i didnt have to much time to set up sheets and stuff

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will not get much thickening in the leader or much development in branching in such a container. The tree needs a container at least three times as big (preferably larger) to take its development to the next step.

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
thanks for the advice rockm. i wasnt to sure about that, being an elm and how much it has thickened being in post since i have had it i thought it was going alright. when i got it it was in pot way smaller than this one. this pot is actually bout 3 times bigger than the one it was in.

steve i have been thinking that myself bout using that side, one of the reasons i put it on here was for a few different points of veiw. felt like i was getting blinkers on with it :)

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
elm stump, split and carve?

i have been toying around with this idea for the tree to increase taper and interest in it, what do you guys think?

split down the trunk, carve and develop?

Attachments

• elm.1.11.jpg
    elm.1.11.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 88

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bad idea IMO. Pic 2 has a nice line, decent beginning of nebari and buttress, work from there.

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
change of mind..

ok guys i decided against the carving down the middle. awkward half round trunks etc.etc. no good. this is what i have done with iti have kept the front the front for now but thinking of changing, i refined the top and smoothed it off. it needs more work but its a bit of a progression just to show you where its up to! :)

i think it looks a hell of a lot better. sorry if the pics arent great, im not a professional photographer

Attachments

• leadermovement.jpg
    leadermovement.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 80
  • closeup1stsmooth.jpg
    closeup1stsmooth.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 70
  • sizecomparison.jpg
    sizecomparison.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 89

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree that splitting the trunk would be a really bad thing to do.

However, the carving you've done isn't enough. When healed over, the wound will present a flat place between the trunks. You should carve down a bit more, so as to define the division between the branches. Keep in mind the tree is going to fill smaller gaps with callus tissue...Carve until it "looks right," then carve another 1/4".

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree that splitting the trunk would be a really bad thing to do.

However, the carving you've done isn't enough. When healed over, the wound will present a flat place between the trunks. You should carve down a bit more, so as to define the division between the branches. Keep in mind the tree is going to fill smaller gaps with callus tissue...Carve until it "looks right," then carve another 1/4".

i completely agree, there is more to come i just need a new rotary tool as i burnt my cheapo out in this process(tip dont buy cheap, it wont last)

but thanks for the advice to go another 1/4" deeper to help get the healing to look better!

Top Bottom