Elm styling help

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Hello,
I got this elm a couple of months ago. the trunk at the base is about 3 inches.
It is starting to show new growth so I repotted it today to change its angle.
I was thinking of getting rid of the bulky top and use the upper right branch as a new leader. this will result a large opening facing the viewer. will that be OK?
If anyone has other solutions or insights ill appreciate it.
I added a picture of the back (which can also be a front?) and a top view. from the sides its very straight and two dimensional. the back has a very nice scar that can be connected all the way up to the top (and bottom?) and make a nice shari.
Any design suggestions will be appreciated! Its only my first spring practicing Bonsai :)
Thank you for the help!
Shay

Attachments

• IMG_1962 copy.jpg
    IMG_1962 copy.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1960 copy.jpg
    IMG_1960 copy.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1959 copy.jpg
    IMG_1959 copy.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1954 copy.jpg
    IMG_1954 copy.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_19534.jpg
    IMG_19534.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 202

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Shay, welcome to BonsaiNut!

I think you are thinking correctly. If this were my tree, I would remove that bulky top part too. The upper right branch would make for a good new leader. But I would not chop the top at this time, because you just did some root work. I would wait for a month or two and see how the new leader branch grow. If the new leader branch grows well, then you would be safe to chop the top off.

Another branch to consider removing later is the first, lowest branch. It is too thick and too long and too straight. It is ugly. I would cut it off at the same time that I chop the top, but I would leave a thin stub of about 2-3 mm so new buds at the base could pop out.

When starting on a new Chinese elm, it is good to remove all big ugly branches and start over. If it has a good root system, the tree will respond by pushing out new shoots all over the trunk , especially at the old branch stubs. Then you will have many more branches and options on how to style the tree.

Please keep us updated on your work. Thanks for sharing.
Good luck!

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Photo 2 for front!

Nice tree!

Sorce

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you Si for your answers and help!
Sorce, in photo 2 the tree is leaning away from the viewer... Isn't it a problem? I think I can work on it and see how it develops. I can always change fronts right?
Thank you,
Shay

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I know you repotted already, but you can always play around with tilting the tree more towards the viewer (with a wedge under the pot). I too like photo 2 as a front. The tree will most likely get taller as you develop it/an apex, so you can work that towards the viewer if you'd like.

You have some carving options with photo 2 as front as well.

Cool tree, is the soil covering any nebari?

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
The nebari is a little problematic but I started working on it when I repotted. The roots aren't growing all around the base and some areas are deeper then others... The initial angle was much lower and this is as high as I can tilt it before roots will pop out.
In photo 2 the base is a bit off ground and looks a little odd to me.
What would you do for carving?
Thank you!
Shay

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ev hit it.

I wouldn't carve it. I think if left to its owns devices it will reward you!

I see that floaty base now...I think?

It may be a task to make 2 the front, but right now it is worth the effort IMO. I love that callous.

Sorce

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The nebari is a little problematic but I started working on it when I repotted. The roots aren't growing all around the base and some areas are deeper then others... The initial angle was much lower and this is as high as I can tilt it before roots will pop out.
In photo 2 the base is a bit off ground and looks a little odd to me.
What would you do for carving?
Thank you!
Shay

No rush on carving. But I sort of imagine that bottom, big wound getting a bit more hollow.

I think long term photo 2 could be a better front because of the interesting wound, but will depend on nebari development in years to come. It is about floaty at the moment ;).

Feed well this growth season and have fun with it.

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Update...
It has started to grow.
I decided to get rid of all the previous branches and create a deasent trunk first.
When is it best to make such a big chopp?
Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Shay.

Attachments

• IMG_20150429_210319.jpg
    IMG_20150429_210319.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20150429_210335.jpg
    IMG_20150429_210335.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20150429_210414.jpg
    IMG_20150429_210414.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 118

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Update.
It has gone a long way in the past year.
Showing a photo from start to this day.
Regards,
Shay

Attachments

• 55787711.jpg
    55787711.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 55787712.jpg
    55787712.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 55787715.jpg
    55787715.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 55787718.jpg
    55787718.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20160527_173326.jpg
    IMG_20160527_173326.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 93

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey, Looks really cool, thanks for the update.

I too am I beginner, with a Chinese Elm. I got mine in March. Currently reading through a whole website that Sorce referred me too.
Before I started this, I would have seen smalls stumps like that and thought nothing of them but now knowing the possibilities and seeing them change from your pics, its given me a massive appreciation. I think it'd be very satisfying to start with a trunk like you have and all branches and everything afterwards, be of your own growth and guidance.

My opinion, only on the appearance, as my expertise are really minimal due to being a beginner, is that that scar that you mentioned, would look really look as some kind of shari. Like the inside of it being of deadwood, and the trunk/scar would simply be a window in to it. Would almost give the illusion that the entire insides of the tree are white and deadwood.
Maybe I'm crazy..

Conor

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Conor,
Thanks for the reply.
In the last picture, you can see some cut paste where the trunk chop was done last year and it's the point I connected the back to that chop.
Ill work on the deadwood to connect them all and it will be pretty much what you said. :)
Elms are a lot of fun... find a good trunk and you are all set.
Cheers,
Shay

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Let it grow this year to get acclimated to the new pot. Edit: I see that was last year. Nothing to add. Edit again: I don't like the movement of the new leader. I think it takes off the the side too strongly. I would personally remove it and regrow one a little straighter with some slight movement

Shay

Mame
Reaction score
Let it grow this year to get acclimated to the new pot. Edit: I see that was last year. Nothing to add. Edit again: I don't like the movement of the new leader. I think it takes off the the side too strongly. I would personally remove it and regrow one a little straighter with some slight movement
I have a pretty good idea what I want to achieve with this one. See if you like it or not in a couple of years...
Thanks for the input.
Shay

Top Bottom