elm trunk chop anxeity

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have not done alot of trunk chops so I want to get some opinions....
Should I use the branch as my new leader,,that would give me a head start as opposed to
just chopping below that branch or above it and cutting it off.....

UPDATE
Here is the chop...I will try to keep updating....
Thanks for all the input.

Attachments

• P1040131.jpg
    P1040131.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 99
  • P1040132.jpg
    P1040132.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 82
  • P1040144.jpg
    P1040144.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 36
  • P1040143.jpg
    P1040143.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I would use that branch as your new leader but its too late in the growing season to try a trunk chop.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes I would use that branch as your new leader but its too late in the growing season to try a trunk chop.

Really?

IMHO, chop above the branch, the branch stays alive and the foliage fuels the tree, roots and all. Further, since the tree is metabolically active, it will seal itself.

A chop below that bottom branch will remove all foliage and collapse the auxin flow just like any other kind of pruning - it will instigate budding/sprouting which will have the rest of the season to develop (of course,chopping above that lower branch would have a similar effect because of the removal of all the foliage above that is not pictured).

Normally air/ground layers aren't done until after the foliage has hardened. Girdling the trunk removes the auxin and sugar supply to the trunk and roots below exactly as a trunk chop would, yet the tree will carry on all season long. In fact most all deciduous trees will sprout below the girdle within 6 weeks of cutting away the bark and cambium. The only difference is that with a trunk chop, there is no transpirational demand for water and nutrients.

moyogijohn

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
z 6
which branch are you asking about ?? the left thick one or the small one onthe right... if you use the thick branch can you wire it up enough to go over the chop site ?? only my opion but why is it too late on a elm tree ?? john

moyogijohn

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
z 6
elm trunk chop aneity

repost your tree please and your desion what you do thanks john

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Plenty of time to do what you want on an elm in Maryland. I was going to ask which branch, too. Either can serve, or if you did a total chop you will get lots of sprouts to work with.

Hey, it's an elm!

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for your input....

I was referring to the larger branch on the left ..sorry I was not more specific....looks like the consensus is "use the branch".
If I do use the branch ,should I do a level cut or a angle cut....?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If I do use the branch ,should I do a level cut or a angle cut....?
Depends on what your future design target is. I would chop it flat and with a stub above the branch if it is mine. Leaves you move options later esp if you want to carve it.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not done alot of trunk chops so I want to get some opinions....
Should I use the branch as my new leader,,that would give me a head start as opposed to
just chopping below that branch or above it and cutting it off.....
Often it's best to ignore an existing branch like the one in your photo and go with a new shoot. This is because the new shoot is likely to have much more vigor than an older, more established branch. By the time you reinvigorate the older branch, your new shoot will have caught up and then some.

Just my experience based on collecting lots and lots of deciduous trees.

Zach

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
update on prevoius post " elm trunk chop anxeity"

P1040143.jpgP1040144.jpg20130622_122503.jpg20130622_122444.jpg

New growth is coming along nice,,,,,

Top Bottom