Elms and wire scars

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So,
I have recently come across a Chinese elm that I really like the movement of. The issue is that it has some very large deep scars that obviously completely ruin the aesthetics.
My question is, are wire scars a done deal on an elm or would they eventually heal/improve with some help?

Here is an example of the level of scaring I am talking about.
7E42A04D-669A-469C-9FEE-726595D0F408.jpeg

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
On most trees wire scars will eventually disappear as the trunk thickens. The key to speedy recovery is quicker trunk thickening so if the tree is already bonsai and you plan to keep it in a smaller pot and restrict growth then plan on scars being visible for many years. Recovery will be much quicker if it is allowed to grow and develop more trunk thickness.

Chinese elms are reasonably common and easy to come by so I would think long and hard about taking a tree with wire damage like that.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've not personally done this technique. But I trust the man, as he is so well respected in the bonsai community...and if he sees results. Then, I imagine... something to consider.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've not personally done this technique. But I trust the man, as he is so well respected in the bonsai community...and if he sees results. Then, I imagine... something to consider.

Oooo learned something today

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wire tight and watch closely or looser and get some rest.
Heavier wire can work when wound looser than an expert might want.
Heavier wire can be more stretched out and get same result.
Bonus is less chance of ripping off smaller ramification branches.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
She is in an auction and although there wasn’t much interest in it to begin with (likely due to those scars) the bids have now started to pick up. She‘s already at a price I wouldn’t really want to pay for those imperfections, so looks like my elm hunt will continue.
Yes there are a lot of elms out there but I was searching for something a little more special than the hundreds of near identical mass produced look.

But I learned some new stuff with that scars treatment link! Thanks all

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
She is in an auction and although there wasn’t much interest in it to begin with (likely due to those scars) the bids have now started to pick up. She‘s already at a price I wouldn’t really want to pay for those imperfections, so looks like my elm hunt will continue.
Yes there are a lot of elms out there but I was searching for something a little more special than the hundreds of near identical mass produced look.

But I learned some new stuff with that scars treatment link! Thanks all
Elm are an amazing species. I wish you luck in finding something for yourself.

Agree...don't settle for less. Look for good bones. That will allow the journey...to be more rewarding.

Top Bottom