Elms kept inside or outside during the winter time?

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
I live in brooklyn NY and I have all my elms on my balcony, they're mame to shohin sized with shallow pots. Should I keep them outside or bring them indoors?
Some of them lost all their leaves already, a few of them still have some foliage. The temp right now drops as low as 20s at night and high of 55 during the day. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
What type of elms? I’m guessing Chinese elms.?

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
Here are some photos

Attachments

• IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1856.JPG
    IMG_1856.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 72

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I live in brooklyn NY and I have all my elms on my balcony, they're mame to shohin sized with shallow pots. Should I keep them outside or bring them indoors?
Some of them lost all their leaves already, a few of them still have some foliage. The temp right now drops as low as 20s at night and high of 55 during the day. Any advice would be great. Thank you.
Can you explain your balcony situation? Are you on the first floor or up higher? Is it enclosed? Do you have an area outside on the ground?…this would likely be best depending on species. All our native elms want to be outside -I have kept Chinese mulched in on the ground outdoors multiple winters and in a garage last winter -no noticeable difference.

If it’s not a subtropical species and it lives in natural settings in your area, it should be kept outdoors -this is the rule of thumb used for all of my trees with success.

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
Can you explain your balcony situation? Are you on the first floor or up higher? Is it enclosed? Do you have an area outside on the ground?…this would likely be best depending on species. All our native elms want to be outside -I have kept Chinese mulched in on the ground outdoors multiple winters and in a garage last winter -no noticeable difference.

If it’s not a subtropical species and it lives in natural settings in your area, it should be kept outdoors -this is the rule of thumb used for all of my trees with success.
It's actually a fire escape lol, second floor, not enclosed. I don't have a garage or a place to dig into the ground. I think my best bet would be buying a plastic container, filling it with mulch and placing the trees in there.

I attached a photo taken in October.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    319.5 KB · Views: 79

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's actually a fire escape lol, second floor, not enclosed. I don't have a garage or a place to dig into the ground. I think my best bet would be buying a plastic container, filling it with mulch and placing the trees in there.

So, when there's a fire, you're trapped by bonsai:cool:

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Big clear plastic tub with a good layer of mulch in bottom may be a good bet..I’d throw a thermometer in there.

Wonder others thoughts on this…

If you’re getting lows of twenty, I’d address it quickly -below 28 I’m moving things that can’t thrive in Canada off benches.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Inside is too warm.

A tub will act as a greenhouse and get warm in the sun. Particularly if you leave it closed.
If you leave it open, it will fill with water which will be bad as well

Exposed on the fire escape with no protection is risky when temperatures get really cold.

Can you put them up against the building and build a wind barrier around them?

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
Inside is too warm.

A tub will act as a greenhouse and get warm in the sun. Particularly if you leave it closed.
If you leave it open, it will fill with water which will be bad as well

Exposed on the fire escape with no protection is risky when temperatures get really cold.

Can you put them up against the building and build a wind barrier around them?
My game plan is to drill holes on the bottom of the container so the rain could drain out, leave the top off and fill it 1/2 to 3/4 way with mulch. Keeping the pot buried while using the rest of the container as a wind barrier.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 8.18.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 8.18.20 PM.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 71

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Looks like one didn’t make it through last winter😅

…and I’m laughing with you, not at you. I have a small collection of tree carcasses out by the burn pile.

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
Looks like one didn’t make it through last winter😅

…and I’m laughing with you, not at you. I have a small collection of tree carcasses out by the burn pile.
lol my rooftop graveyard, i'm surprised i don't have more in that pile.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Chinese elms will absolutely survive inside over the winter with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
Chinese elms will absolutely survive inside over the winter with absolutely no problems whatsoever.
I thought Chinese elms needed to reach a dormancy period or it'll struggle over time?

If its kept indoors during the winter, then it'll be growing all year round and wont hit dormancy. Please correct me if im wrong, im still learning as i go.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My game plan is to drill holes on the bottom of the container so the rain could drain out, leave the top off and fill it 1/2 to 3/4 way with mulch. Keeping the pot buried while using the rest of the container as a wind barrier.
I think this your best option, kudos for keeping bonsai under such challenging conditions.

As others have chimed in, indoors is not likely to be successful, too dry and too warm.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I thought Chinese elms needed to reach a dormancy period or it'll struggle over time?

If its kept indoors during the winter, then it'll be growing all year round and wont hit dormancy. Please correct me if im wrong, im still learning as i go.
Chinese elms are a special, one-off case in which all wisdom goes out the window. What you said is, however, true of 90% of deciduous trees.

But Chinese elms do NOT need dormancy. It will have a much higher chance of survival inside than on that balcony.

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
Woke up this morning and a few of the buds are swelling up and some even popped and showing green.

Should I keep them indoors for now? or is it safe to put them back outside? If i put them back outside will the tree die / swollen buds die off?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Woke up this morning and a few of the buds are swelling up and some even popped and showing green.
I had a similar issue last winter, granted my winters are nowhere near NY's winters... consensus was to leave it outside unless expecting <25 degrees temps. I left mine outside all winter, sheltered it still outside under a frost bag when we had a week of snow and 20 degree temps. Didn't skip a beat.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The balcony with mulch is preferable to indoors. While some believe Chinese elm don't need dormancy, it's really not all that true. Indoors, they weaken, slow and get issues (spider mites, fungal issues, etc.) when left inside. Been there done that when I started out. Indoors the trees will require high light and humidity to grow (and they will remain active if they retain leaves).

An alternative to outdoors could be a refrigerator (once the trees become dormant OUTSIDE and the trees have dropped all or most of their leaves. Skipping this step is not a great idea). Since your trees are on the small side, You could get a mini fridge and set it to about 35 F and put them in there for the winter...

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The balcony with mulch is preferable to indoors. While some believe Chinese elm don't need dormancy, it's really not all that true. Indoors, they weaken, slow and get issues (spider mites, fungal issues, etc.) when left inside. Been there done that when I started out. Indoors the trees will require high light and humidity to grow (and they will remain active if they retain leaves).

An alternative to outdoors could be a refrigerator (once the trees become dormant OUTSIDE and the trees have dropped all or most of their leaves. Skipping this step is not a great idea). Since your trees are on the small side, You could get a mini fridge and set it to about 35 F and put them in there for the winter...
This is just not consistent with my experience at all. I kept my Chinese elm inside all winter. Not that great of light. Did nothing special.

This is what it looked like when I moved it out in the spring.

1669050140139.png

Top Bottom