EM42's Aronia Chokeberry 50% off

em42

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
On July 7, I bought this Aronia melanocarpa tree/shrub from Home Depot's 50% off area - originally marked as $19.98 and purchased for $10. I'm brand new to bonsai but I have a tiny seedling Chokeberry that was really pretty when it bloomed this spring so I thought it'd be nice to have a bigger one to play with.
It was really root-bound with a full mat of roots outside the pot. I didn't intend to mess with the roots very much but I couldn't help myself and ended up doing quite a number on this poor guy. I put it back in the same pot with the same soil, trimmed a few of the long branches and chopped off a few of the big branches.
I watered it a bunch over the days since and it seems okay so far. The chipmunks love the berries!
I'm having trouble uploading pictures here - maybe because I'm a newbie? - but I'll keep trying and get them here asap.
EM

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pretty nice choke cherry! Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this.

em42

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here’s the Aronia now. Open to suggestions to “kickstart” its top growth which seems to have stalled out but I’m thinking that’s because of the media so I repotted it in boon mix & it seems it’s budding up again so maybe it’ll turn the corner soon I’m not giving up on it eIMG_2069.jpeg

Top Bottom