Emergency!!!! Mugo pine repot!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
I have a big problem! So I went to walmart today and bought a mugo pine that was grown in forest grove Oregon. It's healthy, has a nice trunk, and good branching.
BUT! I read up on these on bonsai4me and it said I could repot in august.
I did so, removed all the bad soil, and did a tiny bit of root pruning. But, I won't have any bonsai soil until Tuesday, and I don't need it in a bonsai pot. I wanted to field grow it. But I don't have any good soil, or bonsai soil until Tuesday.
What should I do?
Thanks!
Porter

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would put it in a regular nursery pot or pond basket if you have one. I don't believe there is much to be gained by putting it in the ground. If you have any good aggregate soil around, use that. Probably should take your time next time and make sure you have soil on hand before doing major work like this.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok,
I still have the nursery pot. And the original soil. I might leave it in there until Tuesday. Then put in the good soil.
Thanks, porter

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ok,
I still have the nursery pot. And the original soil. I might leave it in there until Tuesday. Then put in the good soil.
Thanks, porter

You absolutely should not touch this tree again. Once you remove soil and root prune, that should be it. If after this work, you attempt to again remove the tree from the container in the next few days or week, there is a good chance the tree will die. Conifers do not like to have this sort of work done close together. For a pine, depending on age, you should wait 3 or more years before the next repot. You could probably move this tree into another pot in 2 years. However, you would need to do it without disturbing the roots.

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
So it wouldn't last just 3 days? I would gently remove the tree and put some bonsai soil in, then gently put it back in. I was reading and I read that if mugo pines have lots of foliage, the better chance of survival. Well, mine is packed with foliage.
Thanks,
Porter

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hi,
I have a big problem! So I went to walmart today and bought a mugo pine that was grown in forest grove Oregon. It's healthy, has a nice trunk, and good branching.
BUT! I read up on these on bonsai4me and it said I could repot in august.
I did so, removed all the bad soil, and did a tiny bit of root pruning. But, I won't have any bonsai soil until Tuesday, and I don't need it in a bonsai pot. I wanted to field grow it. But I don't have any good soil, or bonsai soil until Tuesday.
What should I do?
Thanks!
Porter

Huh? You repotted a tree...knowing you didn't have the soil you were planning on using for the repot???....And you're planning on field growing it which means you don't need any bonsai soil for it right now? I am confused:confused:. If you're going to field grow it, why wouldn't you just plant it out?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, I made a mistake like all in bonsai.
Does soil in field growing really matter? That's probably what I should be asking
Sorry, I'm dumb sometimes.
Porter

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, I made a mistake like all in bonsai.
Does soil in field growing really matter? That's probably what I should be asking
Sorry, I'm dumb sometimes.
Porter

You don't need bonsai soil if you're growing a tree out in the yard. Dig a good sized hole 3-4 times as wide as the rootball, plant, and mulch with wood chips. Keep it watered well until the soil freezes.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did so, removed all the bad soil, and did a tiny bit of root pruning.
Did you bare-root the tree (remove all the soil)? Not clear from the way you worded your post. If you did bare-root it...it may not matter what else you do, that might have been too much work at one time. I repotted a mugo last summer and while I didn't bare-root it, I did work into the root mass quite a bit (more than advised). Result: 1 dead tree. I can't say for sure it was the root work, but it seems likely.

With your tree, time will tell.

For ground growing, many will amend the soil with coarse materials (such as old bonsai soil, leftovers from sifting components, compost, etc) but it's not necessary.

Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update!
What I did just now is put the tree in my garden box. I mixed some of the old soil and some sand/clay mixture. Yes I did bare root the tree. My garden has a sprinkler/drip system so I staked 2 drip sprinklers in the ground. Then I soaked the tree and now the drip system is on. Hopefully, this will survive. I will try to keep it shaded.
My plan for the future of this tree is to leave it alone for a year. Then I will prune a little the next year and then the next year I will repot it. But this all depends if the tree survives.
How long should it take for it to show some "I'm alive"?
Thank you guys for all the tips. I'm getting some rain next week and some clouds, so that'll be good. Glad I didn't do this to my JWP and JBP.
Porter

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update!
What I did just now is put the tree in my garden box. I mixed some of the old soil and some sand/clay mixture. Yes I did bare root the tree. My garden has a sprinkler/drip system so I staked 2 drip sprinklers in the ground. Then I soaked the tree and now the drip system is on. Hopefully, this will survive. I will try to keep it shaded.
My plan for the future of this tree is to leave it alone for a year. Then I will prune a little the next year and then the next year I will repot it. But this all depends if the tree survives.
How long should it take for it to show some "I'm alive"?
Thank you guys for all the tips. I'm getting some rain next week and some clouds, so that'll be good. Glad I didn't do this to my JWP and JBP.
Porter

If it's still green next spring, it might be alive. If it actually pushes growth, you're truly gifted. Bare rooting a pine mid summer in Utah??? Actually, just bare rooting a pine anytime of year is a big gamble.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On mine, it took a month or so before needles started turning brown. Once that happened, the demise was quite rapid. Hope you have better luck.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just to calify my reply in post #4 to not touch this tree again. I am referring to not disturbing the roots again for a minimum of 2-3 years. When you root prune a tree, remove soil and put it back in the container. You should let the tree recover, undisturbed for at least a couple of years.

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
so this is the pine after about 2 weeks.
Is it alive?IMG_0936.jpgIMG_0933.jpgIMG_0937.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks to be alive and kicking Porter!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
like, is this for sure alive? or were you being sarcastic?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two weeks is too early to tell. Think Christmas trees, they are cut weeks before being sold and are still green even though they are dead. The browning is not encouraging, but it's hard to really see what's going on. Maybe a close-up would help.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
um, I think its pushing out candles right now. But I don't know

Top Bottom