Emergency/ Neglected Repot

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Guys, I have a couple of maples that I intended to repot into more free draining soil this year.

I'll be honest I put them into the garage over the winter and didn't think much about them and when I went to make sure they weren't completely dried out I noticed they were coming out of dormancy.

Still I did nothing, I know, I'm an ass lol

But I was about to move them outside this weekend while we get some pretty good rains, and I realized they were still in the dirt nursery muck.

My questions, is it to late to repot these? IF NOT, then should I still barefoot? Should I just leave them in this soil and forget about it? Should I just try it and see since they aren't really anything spectacular anyway? Lol

Attachments

• 20180416_192821.jpg
    20180416_192821.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Snapchat-61989318.jpg
    Snapchat-61989318.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 57

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Now, how many trees die being planted in nursery muck? To be honest... That looks like good draining bark mix its in. We prefer bonsai substrate to help develop roots...but the tree won't die as is. If it was a killer of trees...they would not plant them to resell in such for nursery trade. To repot when in leaf is far more risky...just my 2 cents worth.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Now, how many trees die being planted in nursery muck? To be honest... That looks like good draining bark mix its in. We prefer bonsai substrate to help develop roots...but the tree won't die as is. If it was a killer of trees...they would not plant them to resell in such for nursery trade. To repot when in leaf is far more risky...just my 2 cents worth.

Your 2 cents are way more valuable than my 1 year. Thank you! I will wait lol

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
? what about slip potting?
They are at their weakest point right now. The leaves are pale and not hardened off. If you want the trees to live, wait for a better time. The containers are plenty big for this year. Just monitor your watering so they do not stay too wet or completely dry out.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Okay will do!

I'm going to move them outside tomorrow. I think they need some sunshine. Concerned about the 45 degree nights, but I will try to shield them from the wind!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Okay will do!

I'm going to move them outside tomorrow. I think they need some sunshine. Concerned about the 45 degree nights, but I will try to shield them from the wind!
Shade and wind protection for now. The leaves are weak. Too much sun right away will do a lot of damage. Partial shade with morning sun would be my reccomendation.

Top Bottom