Emergency re-collecting scots pines

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have collected about 5 pines (this spring), and they are in the ground at my parents place. But, they are going to move, and there is a possibility it will happen in december. Is it better to get them out of the ground now and / or is it possible to collect in december (or whatever is better?)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You still got time to replenish some roots now.

Sorce

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Are these going back into the ground or a pot? By December, the trees might be totally dormant. So no growth or recovery for months. You can remove them now if your pre care and after care are good.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You still got time to replenish some roots now. Sorce
Isn't that too much stress? They did grow pretty good this year.
Are these going back into the ground or a pot? By December, the trees might be totally dormant. So no growth or recovery for months. You can remove them now if your pre care and after care are good.
I think pond baskets, unless I can find new garden. What do u mean with precare? I didn't do any rootwork during collection.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the ground isn't frozen solid in December you can collect them. But they will need to go back in the ground somewhere elsd.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If the ground isn't frozen solid in December you can collect them. But they will need to go back in the ground somewhere else.
It's unlikely I will find a new spot / garden, so I guess I will safe half of them now in pond baskets (and hope my folks don't sell the house anytime soon).
Can/should I do root work or not / and or put them in bonsaimix (or better just slip them in the pondbasket in the original soil)?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't touch the roots. Just slip pot them and protect them as well as you can.

Top Bottom