Emergency Repotting a Baobab

Natty Bumppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Having spent nearly all my life where we have about a 5 month growing season, I'm always amazed at how rapidly things grow in the tropics

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
It looked like it was maybe going to start branching out too!

I'm getting ready to start some from seed again. I lost/gave up on all mine before moving a zone colder a few months ago. The ones I lost were all to root rot...some while sitting in a bone dry pot over winter! I've had a similar situation with my jade in winter on occasion. It seems some fungi in my local ecosystem can get into the good bits and suck them dry while they are dormant :(

If I can get to the point of overwintering these guys again, I think I might try some pre-treatment of fungicide to see if that helps.

I have some doubts about getting these guys growing again though. Springs and falls are much cooler and damper here than in Kansas City and I don't have the same kind of indoor space to shelter them.

As for yours, I wonder if the tie down wire could have injured the roots and contributed?? I never tried to tie mine down.
My suspicion is that there was a dimple on the surface of that root where water pooled these past few weeks when it rained a lot. The most disappointing part is that if you see the little tail under the rotting part, that's actually healthy root! I tried all sorts of way to remove the rotting part and save that root but that requires skills and tools that I simply do not have hahaha (the rot part goes in deep).

Top Bottom