'Emergency' Summer Repotting

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm still very green when it comes to bonsai; this is only my second summer in the hobby. Last winter I decided that I'd like to experiment building my own substrate mix, using DE as the base and amending with perlite, pumice, scoria, horticultural charcoal, and orchid bark in various ratios for coniferous/deciduous/tropical as needed. I mixed up a LOT of this soil, and was using it all spring for (re)potting my trees. Everything appeared fine at first, but I soon started to notice that this mix never seemed to dry out. It just held SO much water, and a few of the plants that were potted in this mix started to look like they were drowning. I decided to try adjusting my watering at first as a solution to the problem and figured everything would be fine until next spring.

Then a couple weeks ago I tried to pull a weed away from a JM sapling that I had planted in this mix, and the maple pulled right out of the substrate along with the weed! Upon inspection, the roots were severely underdeveloped and completely sopping wet, and the substrate was just absolutely soaked to death. I think every tree I had planted in this stuff was suffering from extreme wet feet. Even though we're pretty deep into summer now and way past prime repotting season, I figured I had to rescue some of the trees that seemed to be suffering the most in this mix.

First off, I repotted that little japanese maple into a commercial deciduous mix and it seems to be recovering quite nicely. Hopefully it'll survive, push some new roots, and make it to next spring. Then I repotted a Doug Fir that was in the same wet mix, and for that one I mixed up some akadama, perlite, pumice, and scoria in a 1:1/3:1/3:1/3 ratio, with a touch of charcoal. Yesterday it was a couple of mame-sized F.Benjamina cuttings that came from a twisted trunk HD tree that I chopped up into about 15 different pieces.

The most recent rescue is a little nana pomegranate that flowered and fruited nicely last year in its nursery pot, but has really struggled since I put it into my DE based mix. I decided to repot and take some photos to share with you all.

The first photo is of the DE that I had bought. Turns out the problem is that.....I'm an idiot, and bought the wrong DE. Napa 8822 is the one you want, and I bought part number 8834. Lesson learned! Not only does this stuff seem to hold WAY more water WAY longer than 8822, it also crushes very easily and turns to paste.

The first photo of the tree shows it's struggling. You can see the leaves all curly and deformed, and just generally not happy. After I pulled it from the bad soil, I'm actually quite happy with the limited root development so far. It's managed to keep a nice flat base, and the roots are spreading radially quite nicely. I did notice after I got the tree out of the substrate that it had a relatively bad case of scale, so I pulled out my tweezers and a little cup of rubbing alcohol, and used that to dip the tips of the tweezers before squeezing/plucking the scale off the tree. You can see in the pic how many scales I was able to remove from the tree. Also, you can see how even after only half a season, the 8834 DE has already started to decompose and turn into muck at the bottom of the pot. No wonder the tree wasn't healthy! Anyhow, I mixed up some akadama, scoria, and perlite in a 1:1/2:1/2 ratio and replanted the little pom into this mix. Watered it until it ran clear out of the bottom of the pot, and put it back on the bench in a nice shady spot where it'll live for the next couple of weeks.

No root pruning, no foliage pruning, just a rescue repot. I'm very curious to see how the tree handles it. Hopefully it'll survive and thrive!

Attachments

• IMG_7254.jpg
    IMG_7254.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7242.jpg
    IMG_7242.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7244.jpg
    IMG_7244.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_7246.jpg
    IMG_7246.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7247.jpg
    IMG_7247.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7249.jpg
    IMG_7249.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7252.jpg
    IMG_7252.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7253.jpg
    IMG_7253.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 45

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Be sure to wire your trees into the pot. This is very important. Fine roots cane easily damaged from the slightest movement. I’m sure there are tutorials online on how to wire them in correctly.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that 8834 a smaller particle?

Seems the same.

8822 will crush and smear if you try.

I would be more concerned with the pot design.

Black Plastic is terrible.

Worse, these lips will catch and hold water from properly draining with surface tension.Capture+_2019-08-16-05-34-20.png

Another reason to use wire to hold a tree in......
It gives water a guide out of the pot.

See Fluid Dynamics. Hydrodynamics.

Drill the corners out of those pots and use a knife to cut a "guide" at the edge.

Sorce

P.S. Much can be learned from draining park slides after the rain.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty sure whoever designed and makes those pots should be publicly executed.

If you say you 3d printed them..(hope not)..Livestream it!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Very interesting point about wire providing a conduit for proper water drainage, I'd never considered that.

And no, didn't make these pots - they were an Amazon order, think they came in a 12 pack or something. When I first started buying trees last year, I thought first priority was to get them out of nursery cans and into something approximating a bonsai pot. These seemed great, lots of holes for wiring, built in drainage screen, etc...

Sorce, why is black plastic so bad? Just because it'll presumably get pretty hot during the day? What about leaving trees in black plastic nursery cans while working on styling before starting to reduce root mass? I've noticed that's a technique lots of hobbyists use - is that also a no no?

What are your thoughts on using terracotta pots for initial transplant out of nursery soil? I bought a few last weekend and drilled out lots of extra holes in the bottoms, see attached photo. Inspired by your posts on summer repotting and moon phases, I got a J. Procumbens nana out of its nursery can and potted it in this terracotta in an akadama/perlite/scoria (.5/.25/.25) mix

Attachments

• Terracotta Holes.jpg
    Terracotta Holes.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
terracota grow pots are great. I think thye either call them azalea pots or bulb pots. They are shallow and wide, perfect for growing out trees. I have bought a few from greenthumb nursery. You can find them through out LA I would guess.

Got a bunch into them this spring.
Here is an azalea I got from the bonsai swap in the San Fernando Valley.

I do always add in extra holes for wiring the tree in.*

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
why is black plastic so bad?

It just doesn't allow breathability. They CAN work with really large soil particles, so air can exchange.

That mess on the bottom of that pot wouldn't be so bad in Terra cotta as water will constantly wick thru the pot and evaporate.
On the flip, plastic can condense and ADD water.

They get away with it in the nursery trade because all the pots are next to each other and the trees are usually providing shade as well. They are rarely exposed.

When we cut back a tree to nothing in a black plastic pot out on the monkey Pole, it is severely exposed.

That pot is nice...
But if you're drilling anyway...
Drain trays are cheaper and more appropriately sized.

Sorce

Top Bottom