Emperor 1 Maple - Bad Graft and concerns

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Okay so the other part of my birthday gift was a Jap Maple. I originally was going to get Bloodgood, because I thought those were the best, and while I was debating on oaks I went and looked for what @MACH5 suggested arakawa or sharp's pygmy... Unfortunately there were none.

I remember reading that Emperor were superior to Bloodgood and went with that. I knew that the graft was pretty bad looking but had no idea until after talking to a friend that it could possibly come apart.

I got this tree with the intentions of learning and experimenting, pretty much just allowing the mother to grow wild, taking cuttings and air layers... But I don't want it to fall apart lol

My questions are, should I try and airlayer the base now or spring? ... Can I introduce wire to some of the branches now to create movement and air layer them off next year?

As always... Any other tips or suggestions are well welcomed.

Attachments

• Maple5.jpg
    Maple5.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Maple4.jpg
    Maple4.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Maple3.jpg
    Maple3.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 24
  • maple2.jpg
    maple2.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Maple1.jpg
    Maple1.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 25

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sure, grafts can separate over time. But it's not going to happen tomorrow, or next year, or in 5 or 10. If they were that prone to disaster you'd see them falling apart in landscapes. So if you want to layer the base, spring will be just fine.

Top Bottom