Emperor Dwarf Pomegranate

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone know where I can find a Punica granatum 'Emperor' Dwarf Pomegranate. It seems like the best selection out of the Dwarf varieties since they are very cold hardy, have a desirable fruit size, flower color, and only get about 3ft tall even when grown out. I found that Evergreen gardens has it but Brent told me that the stock plant inst doing so well and that it would be at least two years until it would be available, if it is ever available again. I was preferably looking for rooted cutting or something along that line that would be fairly inexpensive. If anyone knows of anywhere that I might acquire one of any caliber though I would appreciate the help. Thanks

-Mike

Last edited:

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Lone Pine Gardens has lots of pomegranate trees, though I am unsure of the varieties. They only deal in wholesale and retail locally, but they have been selling a few trees online lately (sshh, don't tell anyone). Jim Gremel also has some pomegranates, but those are usually out of most people's price range ($500-$3000).

Contact this seller; http://myworld.ebay.com/lpg_tree/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Brian, none of those are 'Emperor'. They are a variety that Don Herzog introduced and unless someone can get ahold of him I don't know anywhere else to get them. They are cool because of the purple quarter sized fruits.

I have a bunch of 'nana' that are pretty much the same but the fruits are red.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah, I know they aren't "Emperor" pomegranates, but I have found most of the time one cannot be too particular with exact species and variety in this art, you just need to go with something that has good structure and speaks to you. For a while I was obsessed with princess persimmon, and bought many inferior trees, money which would have been better spent on better material. Just a word of advice I guess... Do you happen to have any pictures of yours?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Yeah, I know they aren't "Emperor" pomegranates, but I have found most of the time one cannot be too particular with exact species and variety in this art, you just need to go with something that has good structure and speaks to you. For a while I was obsessed with princess persimmon, and bought many inferior trees, money which would have been better spent on better material. Just a word of advice I guess... Do you happen to have any pictures of yours?

hum... good advice! I have been guilty of that I must admit. I guess the thrill of collecting certain species and varieties is also fun for me. You are right, a person will tend to settle for a lesser specimen just to get something they have been looking for.

I will try to get some pictures. I just stuck em in the ground this year get get a bit more size. The leaves are just now coming out.

Larix

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
I purchased 2 Emperor Nana Poms from my local Bonsai Nursery 18 months ago, and I know he has more as I saw them in the Greenhouse under the tables 2 weeks ago when I was working some Junipers. Give Dave a call at: Phone: 908-788-1938 | Fax: 908-284-2238 | Email: dave@allshapesbonsai.com

Allshapes Bonsai & Nursery230 Everitt Road
Ringoes, NJ

These particular POM's came from the sell off at Minature Plant Kingdom, CA

Mine flowered and fruited this past summer. I'll try and post some pic's when I get home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29876552@N03/4973087908/in/set-72157607270044410/

"If it's written on a piece of paper, it's only worth the paper it's written on, real money has a true intrinsic value" Eneg Nosugref

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Larix, I sent Dave a message inquiring about it, so i will see what he has to say. Thanks again to everyone who has responded to my thread so far.

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For a while I was obsessed with princess persimmon, and bought many inferior trees, money which would have been better spent on better material. Just a word of advice I guess

Brian, I too suffer from the obssesion of collecting certain varieties. I'd love to buy just one or two trees but I usually can't find one of nice enough quality in a price range I'm willing to pay. Decent specimens of rarer trees (like princess persimmon) are few and far between so I end up buying the not that great, long way to go and will work on them over the years. The plus side to that is that I'll know how to care for that variety of tree. When the really nice one comes along I won't be hesitant to spend a little more since I now know the care for it. Then I'll sell the culls at our club sale (if I can part with them :)).
Mary B.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still no reply from the contact given nine days later?? Maybe I'll have to look elsewhere :(

Larix

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Here's another source for Pom's. Have no experience dealing with them, perhaps some other nuts do.

I'll have to stop by the other nursery and see what's up with him.
http://www.essenceofthetree.com/

"If it's written on paper, it's only worth the paper it's written on, real money has a true intrinsic value"

tahoe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9ab
i was at miniature plant kingdom last week
i bought a few trees and don added an emperor to my collection
i spoke with him yesterday
why don't you guys just call him?

and additionally, he's donating his trees to a local school that will be having sales

Top Bottom