Emperor one maple

Colorado Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just purchaced an emperor one maple. It has unique nebari and cought my eye. The tree is growing with a lean to the right but most of the branches turn to the left. However, the longest trunk and it's branches are pretty hard. Does this mean that part of the tree is dying?IMAG0143.jpg

This is the main trunk. Thoughts?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Colorado what do you mean by "pretty hard"?

Also can you post a pic showing the entire tree?

Colorado Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Colorado what do you mean by "pretty hard"?

Also can you post a pic showing the entire tree?

Yes, of course. and thanks for any help!

Keep in mind I am new at this so if it looks like I have done something wrong I probably have... But I am learning.

The right side of the tree is "very hard" meaning it does not bend very easily. It seems like it could snap if ben too much. Some branches are worse than others. The left side seems fine...

The entire tree is covered in buds so... I guess time will tell. Thoughts?

Thanks again. :)

IMAG0144.jpg

Here is another angle-

IMAG0145.jpgIMAG0145.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'd be tempted to remove the thicker "right" trunk at the fork (above where the green wire goes around the whole thing), and work with the smaller "left" trunk as the tree. In a few years, the movement and taper will make a very nice bonsai.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd be tempted to remove the thicker "right" trunk at the fork (above where the green wire goes around the whole thing), and work with the smaller "left" trunk as the tree. In a few years, the movement and taper will make a very nice bonsai.

Based on the pics, I agree and think that is the way to go too.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Is there a break between the trunks the white stuff looks like maybe someone superglued it there.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe that is where the graft is, Beng. Undoubtedly a grafted tree.

Colorado Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is / was grafted. Do you all think I should remove the right side now? I thought about that but am tempted to leave it on for the season.

Colorado Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A few more pictures. Hard to get a good look.

Possible front
IMAG0146.jpg

Possible Back
IMAG0147.jpg

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the only reason to leave the main trunk at this point would be to continue thickening the base if that's what you want. -- If you're happy with the trunk diameter then I would just go ahead and chop. The lower portion will make a much nicer tree from what I can tell. :)

Colorado Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think the only reason to leave the main trunk at this point would be to continue thickening the base if that's what you want. -- If you're happy with the trunk diameter then I would just go ahead and chop. The lower portion will make a much nicer tree from what I can tell. :)

I do want a thicker trunk. However, from what I have read so far I could leave the long skinny sacrafice branch at the bottom there to help with this. It is kind of hard to see but it raps around the tree at the bottom and dips down towards the snow.

Thoughts?

Also is it ok to cut it off now? If I wait untill fall is that a good time?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From what I understand late winter/early spring before the buds push is a good time to prune. I would wait for an answer from Brian or Mach5, or someone else with a lot of maple experience before you actually do it though.

And again, others will have more experience, but I believe it will thicken faster if you leave the larger branch for now. The small one will work too, it will just take longer (of course it won't take up as much room if you leave the smaller one).

Check out Brians blog. He has several examples of sacrifice branches on there: http://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I do agree that based on the earlier pics, the smaller branch is the better one to keep. The larger one is just way too straight and thick. I would personally cut it off now. Admittedly I am a bit impatient and like to start shaping my trees early but as Dan mentioned, you'll get faster thickening if you leave the branch in place for now.

Also you have quite a bit of wire on the small branch. Be very attentive to it because before you know it, it will bite into the bark and often impossible to get rid of the ugly scars. Make sure you try and wire neatly at a 45 degree angle to maximize its effectiveness. Since it is a grafted tree you might want to consider air layering it right above the area. Probably best to wait to do this. Let the tree gain strength for a year or two. I would plant this guy in the ground if you can.

Last edited:

Colorado Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do agree that based on the earlier pics, the smaller branch is the better one to keep. The larger one is just way too straight and thick. I would personally cut it off now. Admittedly I am a bit impatient and like to start shaping my trees early but as Dan mentioned, you'll get faster thickening if you leave the branch in place for now.

Also you have quite a bit of wire on the small branch. Be very attentive to it because before you know it, it will bite into the bark and often impossible to get rid of the ugly scars. Make sure you try and wire neatly at a 45 degree angle to maximize its effectiveness. Since it is a grafted tree you might want to consider air layering it right above the area. Probably best to wait to do this. Let the tree gain strength for a year or two. I would plant this guy in the ground if you can.

Awesome! Thanks for your responce. I was wondering about air layering. I will be moving soon so all plants are staying in their pots for now however, once I get moved I will get it planted. Thanks again.

Top Bottom