Encouraging growth in certain spot on ficus

JimBon

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi All,

My first post after getting into bonsai at the end of last year.

I repotted my ficus a couple of months ago. After this it lost a lot of it's foliage which I put down to soil change and environmental stress. Since then it has been growing well but the top of the tree won't produce any new shoots.

My question is; are there any ways to promote growth in the are which seems somewhat dead?

Pictures of the tree attached.

Thanks,
James20210505_123056.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Throw it outside....even let it get a little earth, you'll quicker grow a much nicer top using just the branch there.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the top is alive, and I am hoping it is
In any event, yes! Get the plant outside and fertilize it.

JimBon

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to Crazy!

Throw it outside....even let it get a little earth, you'll quicker grow a much nicer top using just the branch there.

Sorce
Thanks Sorce,

What do you mean by getting a little earth? We are still letting frosts and sub 10°c temperatures in the UK at the moment so pretty risky. Potentially a solution once we get into summer.

JimBon

Seedling
Reaction score
If the top is alive, and I am hoping it is
In any event, yes! Get the plant outside and fertilize it.
Thanks,

What is the best way to check if it is still viable?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Normally the top grows at the expense of the lower tree and the bottom does not, so you're already in the hole. Do the bonsai two-step if it's not above 10°C overnight there so the tree can get some real sunlight ASAP. (Take it out in the morning and bring back it in overnight.) You will know in a few weeks whether or not the top is dead. Begin to consider where you would chop it so you have a plan to execute when the time comes.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
getting a little earth?

I tried to find more pictures but this is all I could find.

I been letting mine grow into the soil, then violently tearing it out in fall, even chopped it to nothing this winter and it popped back wonderfully.

Utilizing their ability to grow like mad, then stay alive after removing a bunch of roots, can grow you that new top right quick.

Sorce

JimBon

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the input both, I will move to the greenhouse in the day and see where I get to. If I don't get an result in a week or so I will move into an aerated pot and try to get some more root growth going.

SnickersUK

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in the UK as well. Don't put it outside yet, wait for it to be consistently around 20c it's still too cold at the moment (unless your greenhouse is warm enough). I would also get rid of that tray and let the soil dry out a bit before watering again, on top of the repot you may find the soil is too wet so there's not enough oxygen for the roots.

I think the cold snap we had has played havoc with a lot of plants, I've seen a fair bit of new growth on some plants die off which sucks. If you see some new growth in the summer think about defoliating it back to a few leaves and you may get some growth on top, at the very least your pad will get more ramified. I've just done it on my Ficus and it's bounced back really nicely with smaller leaves.

Where is it located at the moment? is it getting enough light?

Attachments

• 20210305_124459.jpg
    20210305_124459.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210504_212901.jpg
    20210504_212901.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 11

JimBon

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in the UK as well. Don't put it outside yet, wait for it to be consistently around 20c it's still too cold at the moment (unless your greenhouse is warm enough). I would also get rid of that tray and let the soil dry out a bit before watering again, on top of the repot you may find the soil is too wet so there's not enough oxygen for the roots.

I think the cold snap we had has played havoc with a lot of plants, I've seen a fair bit of new growth on some plants die off which sucks. If you see some new growth in the summer think about defoliating it back to a few leaves and you may get some growth on top, at the very least your pad will get more ramified. I've just done it on my Ficus and it's bounced back really nicely with smaller leaves.

Where is it located at the moment? is it getting enough light?
It's plenty warm enough in my greenhouse in the day, at least 15°c. For the last month has been in front of a south facing window getting plenty of sunlight.

I think defoliating is definitely a good idea so I will add that to the programme.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When they have good grow light on for 18 hours a day they get adequate light and grow well indoors in cycles. Mine still goes out once temps warm up.

This image is going on 3 weeks of a hard cutback. Because it outgrew my grow cart area. I will raise the lights again soon enough.

I might look into a grow light if you intend to do more tropical...and a timer for the light is ideal. Just to make them happier when wintering inside.*I also run a humidifier...
20210505_124357.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's plenty warm enough in my greenhouse in the day, at least 15°c. For the last month has been in front of a south facing window getting plenty of sunlight.

I think defoliating is definitely a good idea so I will add that to the programme.
Last thing I would do is defoliate. You don't defiliate trees not strong and healthy.

Top Bottom