End all be all of Bonsai books?

tikuper

Seed
Reaction score
Hi,

This is going to be my first post on the Bonsai Nut forum. I'm looking forward to being a part of and contributing to the community!

My father in-law has asked me for the best possible book on bonsai that i can find. I'd say he's an intermediate when it comes to growing and caring for bonsai. He's got roughly 10 plants, which are mostly ficus and junipers.

Is there a book out there that folks consider the bible of bonsai? what's the most respected and used book out there? any ideas?

Thank you in advanced and i look forward to being part of the bonsai nut community.

-Tim

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like Deborah Koreshoff's book Bonsai, it's art science philosophy or something like that.. I feel it is a very good, complete book with lots of info. Check the book section of the forums as there are many other recommendations as well.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any ONE book that does an extraordinary job of covering both indoor and outdoor bonsai.

here's an author who lives in montana and posts here that has an awsome book on ficus
that I would recommend. Jerry maeslik? sorry spelling on last name is wrong.

Outdoor and juniper wise, John naka's books ( one and Two) are readily available and very good.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Its Jerry Meislik. And most bonsai books suck--I have a boat load. Only good for the pictures and minor inspiration. Usually they are too general. Magazines articles sometimes can be good.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
If your father-in-law has been doing it successfully for ten years, a "How To" book may not be what he what like. He may already have enough of those. Good picture books are always welcome but they tend to be expensive.

Last edited:

woodguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like Deborah Koreshoff's book Bonsai, it's art science philosophy or something like that.. I feel it is a very good, complete book with lots of info. Check the book section of the forums as there are many other recommendations as well.

I would second this. Don't think there is one single book that covers everything but this does have a huge amount of very in depth info and great illustrations.

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
My plug for Bill V

Get him a subscription to Iternational Bonsai!!! I look forward to getting my new issues quarterly and Bill always delivers value in terms of content.

Just my 2 cents.

From a reference standpoint you also cannot do wrong in getting kokufu or taiken ten albums.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd strongly support the Koreshoff book AND a subscription to International Bonsai.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You can't go wrong with vol 1&2 of John Naka's books.

Last edited:

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7

This book is pretty old, but oddly enough it would have been my pick too. I think its like 200-250 pages, and does a great job of covering the five styles, growing out stock, refining stock, pot selection, timing different techniques etc. etc. It is probably the most comprehensive book I own and have read.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This book is pretty old, but oddly enough it would have been my pick too. I think its like 200-250 pages, and does a great job of covering the five styles, growing out stock, refining stock, pot selection, timing different techniques etc. etc. It is probably the most comprehensive book I own and have read.
Was my favorite too,just wish I still had it.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You can't go wrong with vol 1&2 of John Naka's book.

Sure you can. They're nice books, but a bit old fashioned and lacking in detailed information. I find myself having not looked at them for the last 10 years, while My Koreshoff is bedraggled and dog eared and all marked up.

As far as that goes, issues 1-11 of Bonsai Today is about as thorough a grounding in Japanese bonsai as you can find -- IF you can find them.

tikuper

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses! I'm going to go w/ Deborah Koreshoff's book !

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you all for the responses! I'm going to go w/ Deborah Koreshoff's book !

While I might agree that this is a good book I have to say that no book is even remotely a good instruction. Two-dimensional drawings and photos almost never manage to convey the best way to create/nurture a four-dimensional object. Consider in-person instruction with someone who has trees that you find inspiring.

Some blogs are the equivalent of a book without the cover price; I think that Bonsai Tonight contains more modern instruction technique and inspiration than any book.

It might be heresy, but Naka's books are sorely outdated and unfortunately contain a lot of advise that seems to have been gleaned from landscapers rather than bonsai artists.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
While I might agree that this is a good book I have to say that no book is even remotely a good instruction. Two-dimensional drawings and photos almost never manage to convey the best way to create/nurture a four-dimensional object.

I think you overstate. When you use a book, you aren't tryig to duplicate the trees pictured in that book. You use it as a GUIDE to the various techniques of bonsai -- and those things can be learned from books if you apply yourself.

Consider in-person instruction with someone who has trees that you find inspiring.

Always a good idea.

Some blogs are the equivalent of a book without the cover price; I think that Bonsai Tonight contains more modern instruction technique and inspiration than any book.

Maybe, but I prefer not to ruin my eyesight.

It might be heresy, but Naka's books are sorely outdated and unfortunately contain a lot of advise that seems to have been gleaned from landscapers rather than bonsai artists.

I agree. Totally!

Top Bottom