End of season update on some spring collections - Piñon Pine

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine was doing so well I went ahead gave it an initial styling. Only removed a few branches completely un needed and left several that will eventually be cut. I didn’t want to remove too much at once. In particular the two lowest branches. Next spring will be year 2 in the pond basket so I will probs be repotting into an actual ceramic pot.
View attachment 446333View attachment 446334View attachment 446335

Oh yeah! Looks awesome! Love this design!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yeah! Looks awesome! Love this design!
Thanks TJ! I couldn’t help myself! I did this a little over a month ago and within 2 weeks I had wire biting in. It’ll be interesting to see what the roots look like come spring.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks TJ! I couldn’t help myself! I did this a little over a month ago and within 2 weeks I had wire biting in. It’ll be interesting to see what the roots look like come spring.

Yes I will be very interested about the roots! I am being conservative with mine 😬. It is super healthy this year but I was planning to give it one more year in the box just to play it safe!

But now I’m tempted to do a little work on it 🤠

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I will be very interested about the roots! I am being conservative with mine 😬. It is super healthy this year but I was planning to give it one more year in the box just to play it safe!

But now I’m tempted to do a little work on it 🤠
The work I did was awfullly minimal. I know they say wiring is stressful to the tree but it went down as smooth as I could have asked for, and I removed such a small amount of foliage. I feel like you could as long as you kept it simple! Just set structure and no Mas.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First repot! Roots looked great. Lots of michroriza especially inside the rootball. I had been planning this arrangement on this lava rock I dished out. I also included some hedgehog cactus from the same area and this is all native mosses from the same area. A second styling will happen sometime this year as long as it’s ready.22E63350-3102-4929-A888-00A7005CD4BA.jpeg82E03FD2-FF3F-4171-A38C-7669B3BD6B34.jpegFB3D79F1-40ED-4C4D-ACD0-F99A03DBB94F.jpegF30E65D6-5272-406A-B308-CB08FB259A44.jpeg

Attachments

• B76450C5-FC86-4821-8BF9-2D784E32959D.jpeg
    B76450C5-FC86-4821-8BF9-2D784E32959D.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 2

jevanlewis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd like to join the Pinyon party! (I think it's a Pinyon. Can you all help me confirm?)

I collected this in late September of 2021 in Wyoming (under permit). It was growing in pure pine duff in a rock pocket. I had to cut a massive tap root that was 6' long, but it had lots of feeder roots closer to the base that I was able to keep. I potted it into straight pumice, but the pot is probably 60% original roots+duff. I'd like to repot to replace some of the duff and large roots with more pumice, but I think I will give it one more year to strengthen.

Regarding design, the biggest challenge is the legginess. I could see myself removing either one of the large horizontal branches, but I could also see a design that keeps both. Also, this one will need several jins.

Image #1
1684378172343.png

Image #2
1684378221013.png

Image #3
1684378250545.png

Image #4
1684378286720.png

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd like to join the Pinyon party! (I think it's a Pinyon. Can you all help me confirm?)

I collected this in late September of 2021 in Wyoming (under permit). It was growing in pure pine duff in a rock pocket. I had to cut a massive tap root that was 6' long, but it had lots of feeder roots closer to the base that I was able to keep. I potted it into straight pumice, but the pot is probably 60% original roots+duff. I'd like to repot to replace some of the duff and large roots with more pumice, but I think I will give it one more year to strengthen.

Regarding design, the biggest challenge is the legginess. I could see myself removing either one of the large horizontal branches, but I could also see a design that keeps both. Also, this one will need several jins.

Image #1
View attachment 488949

Image #2
View attachment 488954

Image #3
View attachment 488955

Image #4
View attachment 488956
Yup, pinus edulus, two needle piñon pine.
I have actually seen these things in the wild pushing new buds from the trunk! I wouldn't go so far as to place a bet on it happening, but it's a thing for sure. As far as conifers go, they bud back very well.

I've had horrible luck with them, mostly due to crap geology - those long running roots will go 10 or 20 feet into a tiny rock crevice around here - but also lackluster after care, and the new dog.

jevanlewis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yup, pinus edulus, two needle piñon pine.
I have actually seen these things in the wild pushing new buds from the trunk! I wouldn't go so far as to place a bet on it happening, but it's a thing for sure. As far as conifers go, they bud back very well.

I've had horrible luck with them, mostly due to crap geology - those long running roots will go 10 or 20 feet into a tiny rock crevice around here - but also lackluster after care, and the new dog.

Great info. Thank you. Did backbudding require heavy pruning (always leaving some needles on the branch, of course)?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great info. Thank you. Did backbudding require heavy pruning (always leaving some needles on the branch, of course)?
Like I said, terrible luck, so I can't give much detail. You certainly don't want to treat it like a deciduous, pruning hard and expecting new growth to pop all over. And absolutely DO NOT remove all your new candles. That will kill a pine outright.
I can say back budding is a matter of a very healthy and vigorous tree with roots that outpace the top growth. I believe there's a strategy to getting them to back bud reliably.

There are a couple of guys in the Rocky Mountain Bonsai Society that put together a fairly comprehensive treatise on pinus edulus. I found it on the RMBS website once, then got a new phone and haven't been able to find it again. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Top Bottom