End of winter here - JBP Repotting and nothing else?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hello all;

As I live in Brazil, here we are approaching the end of winter.
My Japanese Black Pine needs new soil, so I will repot it as soon as the buds start to swell, in one or two weeks I guess.
But...
Besides repotting, it needs some heavy pruning and some wiring; I will leave decandle 10-10-10 work for mid summer, and I haven't touched it since I got it last summer.
Question is, can I do all this together? I mean repotting, thinning and wiring at the same time?
Or just repotting now and pruning later on the season (spring)?
The tree is healthy and in excellent condition.
Thanks in advance!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Leave repotting to be the last thing you do. All the jiggling of wiring work will wiggle freshly repotted roots and damage them anew. Now, however, the roots are solidly anchored in the pot and won't be damaged much, if at all, by wiring/styling work.

There is no need to wait on your styling work - do it as soon as you want. Once done, then repot, which can even be the same day. You know your tree and your climate. I've had trouble when I've repotted too early, so I think it wise to wait until the tree is active (i.e., buds swelling, white root tips).

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Leave repotting to be the last thing you do.
@0soyoung ;
Thanks for your tips, they make sense.
I will wait as long as possible before repotting, but usually after September 1rst the temperatures around here will not drop down anymore and plants grow like mad!
:)

Top Bottom