Engelmann Spruce journal

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Another season, another progression thread. This is an engelmann spruce that I have not had for very long at all. It was collected by Randy Knight, I assume from the rockies, and stands only 17" tall. The first two pictures show the tree as it was purchased as a prebonsai. Like my other progressions I will update this one once a year until it actually becomes a progression thread haha. So far the only thing I have done with the tree is wire nearly every branch. I have removed almost none of the branches because frankly, the tree could be healthier. I was lucky enough to get guidance from Danny Coffey while working on this tree. He was the one who made me aware that the buds could definitely be more plump, maybe the green more vibrant. Unfortunately before I purchased the tree it spent a very hot summer in full sun, in a warm climate. These trees are not big fans of heat so I will be doing my best to keep it happy in 6b (heat zone 6) Bethlehem. Fortunately this species is okay with being shaded, I will take advantage of that asset when the temperature spikes above 90F. Shade cloth will also be used on the pot when temps rise, hopefully that will get the tree to a happier state. The last 4 photos show the tree after it was wire and styled, the first of the 4 pics being the intended front. It is only a rough styling as some branches need to be removed, many need to fill in. I had gotten very cocky after wiring so many large collected pine, this tree put me in my place. It is my smallest tree and I had no idea how much harder it is to deal with tiny branches and mini needles. Please excuse the mess

Attachments

• image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 62
  • image0 (6).jpeg
    image0 (6).jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 62

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The "after" pics. A keen eye will notice the longest bottom branch tips are pointed skyward, that got bumped in transport and missed while taking photos. they have been tilted down since

Attachments

• image2 (2).jpeg
    image2 (2).jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image3 (1).jpeg
    image3 (1).jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 66

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What have you found is the best soil mix for spruce in your area? We are pretty close to same climate (6a here) and I still trying to figure out optimal for spruce. Picked up an engelmann (also Randy Knight collected, also petite) today.
Nice tree!

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What have you found is the best soil mix for spruce in your area? We are pretty close to same climate (6a here) and I still trying to figure out optimal for spruce. Picked up an engelmann (also Randy Knight collected, also petite) today.
Nice tree!
The tree is still the mix it was purchased in. Natures way uses a 50/50 mix of pumice and decomposed bark (probably pine). They use that for every tree they sell, just about. So it's not some custom formula, but it has been doing pretty well. They like moisture so when it's time to repot ill probably go 40/60 pine bark/lava. That's my current deciduous mix, but the pot is small and my summers are hot so I can't be messing around. I guess to answer your question, ask someone else haha. Every time I attend a workshop I style one of these trees, always tempted to take them home but I worry since they like it cooler. This is the only one that found its way onto my bench, so I have no business giving advice beyond my personal experience, which is limited with this species

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The tree is still the mix it was purchased in. Natures way uses a 50/50 mix of pumice and decomposed bark (probably pine). They use that for every tree they sell, just about. So it's not some custom formula, but it has been doing pretty well. They like moisture so when it's time to repot ill probably go 40/60 pine bark/lava. That's my current deciduous mix, but the pot is small and my summers are hot so I can't be messing around. I guess to answer your question, ask someone else haha. Every time I attend a workshop I style one of these trees, always tempted to take them home but I worry since they like it cooler. This is the only one that found its way onto my bench, so I have no business giving advice beyond my personal experience, which is limited with this species
Makes sense. And hearing that they can / should take some shade when our hot summers hit should help as well. Following the progress / thanks for sharing!

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah no problem. I talked to Jennifer Price yesterday and she said englemann spruce was one of her all time favorites. She said she keeps hers in partial shade with her Japanese maples and they do really well. She's from Chicago, zone 5 I guess, so her summers aren't quite like ours but similar enough.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi there, are you talking about Nature's Way in PA?

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also, after responding to that comment I am realizing I never posted any updates. The spruce was wired and styled again in the fall of '22, somewhat lightly. I repotted this tree into much better soil this spring. I used the pot penumbra gifted me in his random drawing he did last year. This photo is terrible but There's nothing really to see. It's gathering strength this year. I think by the fall of 2023 it will be looking pretty good. Having trouble finding an exact front, this pic is from the 3/4 view because there's a long dorky branch that spoils the trunk line. It will be
jinned when the tree is stable. image0 (17).jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, that place is the dopest, baddest, dirtiest bonsai nursery around. Plus Jim lets me sell my trees there so I'm biased ha
I was there for the first time today. He showed me his main mix and it was like 6 different things I thought. I really enjoyed it as someone new to the hobby.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was there for the first time today. He showed me his main mix and it was like 6 different things I thought. I really enjoyed it as someone new to the hobby.
The mix he uses for his personal trees is much different. He's got some take on boons mix if I remember correctly. But I interned there for a while and everything that came through the door got the 50/50 treatment. We'd repot 100 trees in one day between 4 or 5 people It's just a matter of being cost effective. He's the man, he's happy to talk to everyone at all levels

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought a tree from him and he was very kind and helpful. I wish I had an opportunity to learn from a guy like that. Great people.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The mix he uses for his personal trees is much different. He's got some take on boons mix if I remember correctly. But I interned there for a while and everything that came through the door got the 50/50 treatment. We'd repot 100 trees in one day between 4 or 5 people It's just a matter of being cost effective. He's the man, he's happy to talk to everyone at all levels
I actually got an engelmann spruce, which brought me here 👍

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Also, after responding to that comment I am realizing I never posted any updates. The spruce was wired and styled again in the fall of '22, somewhat lightly. I repotted this tree into much better soil this spring. I used the pot penumbra gifted me in his random drawing he did last year. This photo is terrible but There's nothing really to see. It's gathering strength this year. I think by the fall of 2023 it will be looking pretty good. Having trouble finding an exact front, this pic is from the 3/4 view because there's a long dorky branch that spoils the trunk line. It will be
jinned when the tree is stable. View attachment 439111
Looking good!!

Top Bottom