Engelmann spruce progression

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Picked up a rather unusual tree while Todd Schlafer was here conducting workshops in Iowa last fall. I think it's going to become a really interesting tree over time.

Some dramatic movement, some really cool shari and deadwood.

Apparently I didn't take a picture when I first picked it up, but exactly one day after the October workshop we had a snowstorm:

Engelmann Spruce Oct 2019.JPG

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thus far, I have done nothing, and I plan to do nothing until I become familiar with it's growth habits here in what can be a relatively warm and humid place (Eastern Iowa).

The plan is to keep the canopy and right side relatively compact, and let the left branch extend and wire movement and downward direction (same is true of the primary back branch).

Based on what I have read, these date to be messed with at the wrong time of the year, which is another reason I did not mess with pruning or wiring this spring. Apparently, late fall is the time for those activities, especially wiring.

Here is the tree in June 2020. Lots of flushes, but clearly apically dominant (maybe not so clear form picture):

Englemann Spruce June 2020.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Really nice tree from Todd. I really like it.

Be sure to keep an eye out for adelgids. Or some similar bug. There is a very tiny one that tucks itself in at the base of needles. At first glance they are easy to miss. I lost a nice englemann to them some years back. I don't see any in your photos, just be sure to take a good look at least twice a year.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Watching this one!
I have not had good luck with Englemann in the midwest which is a shame, there are a lot of great ones collected out west. They seem to slowly lose vigor over a couple of years and then just die. This happened with two trees collected by Randy Knight. Let us know what you encounter in terms of care. Anyone else here in the midwest successfully growing Englemann?

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, agree with all suggested above.

I know there are a bunch of Engelmann spruce at HG in Chicago, and Jeff has been maintaining/selling/caring for them for several years. But I also know that Jeff had several get torched when he first started making them available from Randy, Todd et al... He placed them out in full sun all day long the first season he had them on site. They will not tolerate intense summer sun and heat of the midwest. I think people may/might/perhaps often lose them here because the knee-jerk assumption for such evergreens is that they need full sun all day long, all of the time. Not these... they'll croak. Discussed this at length with Todd, too, both before and after I purchased the tree.

Mine is positioned to get sun from ~10 am to 1:30 pm, and then dappled to full shade in the afternoon and evening.

We're projected to be steadily in the high 80 F range and sunny for the next week, so this one will come off the bench into cooler, mostly shaded spot below an overhead deck on the back of the house.

I'll keep the progression updated as things unfold.

Noah

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Some pictures of spring/summer growth (it's still pushing new growth all over). No fuzzy, white adelgids anywhere to be seen, thankfully. But I will stay on it, Leo!

Engelmann summer growth 2020.JPG

Some additional shots of the shari and bark, not revealed in the first sets of pictures

Engelmann shari 1 2020.JPG

Engelmann shari 2 2020.JPG

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Annual update:

A little more development of lower left primary branch and back branch… but need to do a better job of compacting apex growth next spring. I pruned to interior buds, but I think I’ll pinch next spring too.

Attachments

• 48A7F105-2AB2-4C62-9BB6-E82C7BD2A845.jpeg
    48A7F105-2AB2-4C62-9BB6-E82C7BD2A845.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 138

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Following … too much sun near me for englellmann but may change due to shade net setup.. updates please as you work on it

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice! The natural deadwood is fantastic on this. Great job with the styling as well. Do these back bud well?

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice! The natural deadwood is fantastic on this. Great job with the styling as well. Do these back bud well?
At growth junctions, absolutely. Lots of buds. It will also backbud on bare wood that is somewhat younger and still flexible. Generally the outside bends of wired branches. Not sure if stress fractures in cambium trigger that. Not dependable, but happens from time-to-time on this tree.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Brian Van Fleet, unclear!

Not sure how I could possibly make decades of natural decay look more natural!

View attachment 436420View attachment 436421View attachment 436422View attachment 436423

Unless you're talking about the jins... then yes, those need some work
No, the current deadwood is great and I wouldn’t mess it up, but it looks stubbed off at the blue circled area, at least in the photo. I’d be tempted to extend it just a touch up into the trunk (Yellow lines).

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No sketch visible, but I’m onto what you’re describing.

Top Bottom