engelmann spruce white stuff growing on bark?

wnorris

Seedling
Reaction score
hi there. I've inherited an engelmann spruce, and its got white stuff growing/appearing on the bark. I'm new, and have done my best to try and find something already posted here that would be helpful. this white stuff does have some areas that appear "crusty" like hardened pitch. half of the tree is growing poorly, not sure if its entirely related. I'm in zone 8b. and before I try to do any wiring/styling/repotting, I'm hoping to restore health. thank you for any helpful advise and info!20220407_174446.jpg16493804114911537783699811410672.jpg20220407_171206.jpg20220407_171212.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the nut house! That’s a neat little spruce. I do not have any experience with these but you came to the right place. I’m sure someone in here has some good insight on this for you.

wnorris

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the nut house! That’s a neat little spruce. I do not have any experience with these but you came to the right place. I’m sure someone in here has some good insight on this for you.
thank you!

wnorris

Seedling
Reaction score
Looks like pitch or sap to me.
Have you looked up near the top of that streak for a potential borer hole?
I don't see any evidence of borer holes that I can see. do you think its from anything in particular thats a borer?

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I don’t think it is harmful. Could be wrong. I have seen it removed with some soapy water and toothbrush.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't see any evidence of borer holes that I can see. do you think its from anything in particular thats a borer?

A borer could cause a stream of sap/pitch to run down the trunk which is why I suggested looking for a possible hole.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its dried sap from mechanical injury like a cut or a crack. Seen it lots of times.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Keep an eye out for aphids. Don't know if they are attracted by the sap but they love my spruce!

Sorce

Top Bottom