ENGELMANN SPRUCE

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is an Engelmann spruce (Picea Engelmannii) collected by Loren Buxton which I purchased from him earlier this year. It is a single trunk tree that divides into several sub-trunks. Plating old bark throughout most of its length gives it a rugged, aged look. I left the tree grow for the entire growing season without any work done to it. Fall is a good time to wire spruce, so I decided to give it its first styling. Looking at the tangled web of trunks and branches it was not easy to see exactly what to do with this piece of material. Most likely it offered several ways to approach it but I ended up settling on one: Multi-trunk literati with multiple apexes.

Engelmann spruce has become one of my favorite native species for bonsai. I think superior to the Colorado spruce. It has very agreeable, small, soft needles that are easy to work with. This spruce is probably one of the closest in appearance to the true Ezo spruce (Picea glehnii). For anyone interested, this tree is available for purchase.

This is the tree before the work.

In order to create a multi-trunk style composition, two of the trunks were brought up and firmly repositioned with guy wires. Also one of the four original trunks was cut off to simplify the design. The foliage was then carefully cleaned up and prepared for wiring.

Work in progress.

The work completed which yes, it includes.... a crossing trunk! The multiple apexes I think gives the tree its own special character which is also found in nature where sometimes trees have multiple leaders. From soil level, the tree stands 27" high.

Virtual with a bonsai pot. But it may end up looking best in a drum or large namban style container.

At-a-glance comparison with several hours of work in between the two photos.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's quite the transformation! I'm surprised you were able to move the trunks that much, it almost doesn't look like the same piece of material.

I really enjoy working with Engelmann, it has a very pleasant fragrance. I'd ask, but I suspect the price is out of my current range :)

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Great job, I really love spruce too. Can't wait to see it in a few years

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very nice transformation, what does it look like turned to the right so that the main trunks don't cross?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's quite the transformation! I'm surprised you were able to move the trunks that much, it almost doesn't look like the same piece of material.

I really enjoy working with Engelmann, it has a very pleasant fragrance. I'd ask, but I suspect the price is out of my current range :)

I could have used some help but somehow I was able to bend and fix them to the guy wires. It took a few tries. Much easier with another pair of hands. Loving working with this species. Way kinder foliage than Colorado and needles are naturally small and fine. Beautiful trees! I just bought another large one from Jim Doyle. I think I may have to keep that one. Probably work on it next year.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Great transformation. Loren has some great stuff. Was able to meet him at the Midwest show and talked to him a good bit.

I need to find some nice "raw" coniferous material myself. Would love to try my hands on a large styling project.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the multi-trunk literati concept. If you shorten some of the longer branches, the tree will appear taller and skinnier. Your idea really has potential!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice transformation, what does it look like turned to the right so that the main trunks don't cross?

Thanks Ghues. Not quite as interesting if angle is shifted to avoid the crossing. Trunk lines if I remember also straighten out. As you know, sometimes bonsai is about compromise. In this case I needed to work with it. It does not bother me in this case... but that's just me.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the multi-trunk literati concept. If you shorten some of the longer branches, the tree will appear taller and skinnier. Your idea really has potential!

Yes Fred perhaps that may well happen in the next stage :) If I still have it to see it through until the next styling, I will need to see what new opportunities it presents to try and advance the material.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great transformation. Loren has some great stuff. Was able to meet him at the Midwest show and talked to him a good bit.

I need to find some nice "raw" coniferous material myself. Would love to try my hands on a large styling project.

Some of the best is coming from out in the Northwest. Loren has some good stuff. Ryan probably has the best in large raw conifers but prepare your wallet. You might also want to try Dan from Backcountry Bonsai. Super guy and some pretty awesome stuff he is collecting these days. He is also a member here (Dan W.).

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Beautiful transformation! Your styling is very convincing!

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love it! I can appreciate what you're saying about the needles. Whenever I work on my Norway Spruce I end up with itchy arms.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Some of the best is coming from out in the Northwest. Loren has some good stuff. Ryan probably has the best in large raw conifers but prepare your wallet. You might also want to try Dan from Backcountry Bonsai. Super guy and some pretty awesome stuff he is collecting these days. He is also a member here (Dan W.).

also theres a low chance you can find nursery stock to work with, or yardadori :):rolleyes:

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking at the before and after is such a great way to see the artistic talent it takes to make great bonsai. Always impressed with your work.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thats a great transformation amazing

It opened my eyes never tought about "multitrunk literati" style
I might have a suitable candidate a needle juniper wich i have over a year now but no clue about what to do with the multi trunks comming from one base gotta take a look again soon thnx for inspireing !

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wonderfull craftsmanship on the wiring, deadwood work and design. Can I ask abut the lotus pot you used for your virtual though? I've been keeping an eye out for a large one of that style, maybe a little more "purple clay" color, but still curious size and background.

I love your website, but no prices posted right? I'll admit it is a little intimidating, like if I have to ask how much than I probably can't afford. Not a lot of discretionary funds at them moment anyways, so a comment and not a criticism.

Top Bottom