Englemann spruce #3 progression

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The last of 3 englemanns collected last spring. Removed a bit of the original soil on this repot, again, with strong root growth from last year. Another repot will not take place for another 3 yrs. I’d like to get this root ball down to a smaller pot in a literati style. Tree has pushed its spring buds very nice. I will leave all of the foliage on and water and feed heavy this season. Currently in full sun but may switch to afternoon shade when it gets really hot here. Tree has a very cool surface root that should be a fun point of interest long term.

Attachments

• 7CE2E9C8-A833-443C-8A4B-B2EF379AE2CE.jpeg
    7CE2E9C8-A833-443C-8A4B-B2EF379AE2CE.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 109
  • AEB421C8-DE67-4844-86F7-36E0823E883B.jpeg
    AEB421C8-DE67-4844-86F7-36E0823E883B.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 131
  • D625DDFD-E939-4BF1-AC20-0CA711128C33.jpeg
    D625DDFD-E939-4BF1-AC20-0CA711128C33.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 8A082D97-B294-4C87-8B6A-1EDA9E956DE2.jpeg
    8A082D97-B294-4C87-8B6A-1EDA9E956DE2.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 120

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great response on this tree so far. This springs growth is incredibly robust as you can see in the needle size difference from this years and last years. I’ve been fertilizing heavy with slow release and fish fertilizer and recently switched to MaxSea fertilizer. Lots of setting buds for next spring as well. I won’t cut anything back till next spring and will begin styling. Here’s a quick sketch of my idea. The tree is tall at around 40” but should make a very cool literati. The primary branch will be brought down and used to mimic the trunk line and will be broken up into 3 separate pads at 3 separate levels. Maybe 2.

It’s coolest and my favorite feature is the surface root. I love the way it curves from the trunk to the root seamlessly.

There is one section towards the bottom that must have had a branch at one point, lost its branch then bulged over the years from healing. If angled right the bulge is not noticeable.
New growth and buds along the branches.
Tree as is
Design idea
Main branch intersection.
Bulge at the base
the bulge from a different angle and that great surface root.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hey Danny, I think I would treat it more like a bunjin. Meaning that I would approach it in a more minimal way using smaller pads and less foliage/branches. I like your drawing, but it looks to be more thought of as a classic informal upright.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Danny, I think I would treat it more like a bunjin. Meaning that I would approach it in a more minimal way using smaller pads and less foliage/branches. I like your drawing, but it looks to be more thought of as a classic informal upright.
Thanks for the response Sergio. Yeah at the trees height, with its thin trunk and flowing lines it really wants to be a bunjin. I certainly wanted the drawing to be more reminiscent of that style. Honestly, your drawings inspire me and I’ve been trying to make sure I put pen to paper first to better understand my direction and the tree. When I get to the point of styling next year, I really want to make sure I don’t remove to much, and I think just having that hesitancy in my mentality is reflected in my drawing. When I do get to cutting back branches to new buds next spring however, I think I’ll be able to see the final shape even better. Especially in the top third of the tree where several branches need to be either removed and jinned or thinned significantly. Thanks so much for taking the time to give me input expert advice. Hopefully you’ll see this thread again next spring when I get busy and can give bits of advice along the way.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Sergio. Yeah at the trees height, with its thin trunk and flowing lines it really wants to be a bunjin. I certainly wanted the drawing to be more reminiscent of that style. Honestly, your drawings inspire me and I’ve been trying to make sure I put pen to paper first to better understand my direction and the tree. When I get to the point of styling next year, I really want to make sure I don’t remove to much, and I think just having that hesitancy in my mentality is reflected in my drawing. When I do get to cutting back branches to new buds next spring however, I think I’ll be able to see the final shape even better. Especially in the top third of the tree where several branches need to be either removed and jinned or thinned significantly. Thanks so much for taking the time to give me input expert advice. Hopefully you’ll see this thread again next spring when I get busy and can give bits of advice along the way.

Sure sounds good! Also remember that Engelmann needs to be approached carefully in stages. Not too much work done all at once. They can take wiring but they'll be screaming and kicking all the way through!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure sounds good! Also remember that Engelmann needs to be approached carefully in stages. Not too much work done all at once. They can take wiring but they'll be screaming and kicking all the way through!
I tell you one thing I’ve been pleasantly surprised with. I collected all 3 englemann at 10000 ft in Northern NM (where these trees are everywhere) and the highs rarely get above 90 mid summer. I’ve had them in full Abq sun where temps have been consistently 95/96, and these trees have not missed a bit. They all look extremely healthy. I was thinking I’d need to give them more relief from the Abq sun.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Styled and loaded with plump buds about to pop. I still need to reduce each “pad” of foliage more. But I wanted to leave a bit more foliage and buds so I can reduce the overall profile later. Also, the placement of each branch needs a bit of work but in good time. Def not a bunjin right now and it may never be, but I just LOVE the trunk and surface root on this tree. Here’s a shot of my perceived front and a 360 degree video if any of you see a front you like more and want to suggest.
E12A1728-04CA-47AF-8D3E-1BE94F8DFB28.jpeg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice. It's going to be nice to see this one develop. Hope you can get some backbudding and tighten up the image as it fills in. Nice work 👌

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. It's going to be nice to see this one develop. Hope you can get some backbudding and tighten up the image as it fills in. Nice work 👌
Thanks! And yes also my hope. Fortunately what I cut back to were back buds from last years growth, so many of the branches were shortened. There are also a handful of buds further back but I didn’t want to be too drastic with this trees first major prune.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome tree. I really like the surface root as well.
Kind of reminds me of a Chinese dragon the way it curves across the surface and up along the trunk. Not my drawing or the best pic of what I’m seeing. But you get the idea. 🤷🏼‍♂️51D9625E-DAC6-4842-BAA2-7E8C7C7B6209.jpeg

Top Bottom