English Boxwood

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a few shots of a box I just worked on. It was in my mom's flower box and she had become tired of it so she let me hack it up. The first pic is of the giant root ball that came with it after I removed it from the box. The second is the initial pruning and thinning of the branches. Third pic I decided to pull down the right hand branch with a guy wire, no guarantees it will stay but its worth a shot. I also cleaned up the cuts with my new knob cutter.

After styling, it stands at 4.5" tall, it has a 3/4" trunk caliper just above the roots, and a 2 inch root base. This should backbud nicely and depending on where the buds open, I may cut just a little more. For now I'm leaving it as is.

Next year, I'm not entirely sure yet, I will put this tree in a 5", round, green , unglazed, shallow bonsai pot.

Any tips or suggestions are welcomed.

Tom

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the basic shape. If it were mine, I'd continue to drop the branch that yo have wired to the pot. I'd also do the same thing to the branch above it. As it is, I think the branch above the wired one will come into conflicit with the branch that is above it. After seeing which branches produced the growth I wanted I'd also open up the tree by removing a few of the upright branches. But I think you've done about as much as you can this season.

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with what you've said. I am hoping that I will get growth in the area above the bend branch so I can just remove the top section all together. So far there aren't too many buds if at all. I'm sure it will go crazy sooner or later.

Tom

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heres an update. It's filling in nicely.

I hope you like it as much as I do.

Tom

Ozzy

Seedling
Reaction score
I like it, its a wonderful little specimen, the trunk looks really aged, I wonder how it would take to some some leaf size reduction.

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it, its a wonderful little specimen, the trunk looks really aged, I wonder how it would take to some some leaf size reduction.

I'm not sure how I would do that with a boxwood or if it is even possible. I'll have to research that. Has anyone done that before?

Thanks for the kind words I'm very happy with it so far.

Tom

Top Bottom