English Elm Yamadori

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@ConorDash Hi mate, this is collected from the wild, likely an old sucker that would of sprouted from an old root system, of a much larger tree/hedge/stump. i bet if you go out into the woody parts of Essex they'd be material like this dotted about the place. just have to keep your eyes peeled, or you'd miss it. its also easily attainable if looking to buy. Kaizen have some good Yamadori and ive seen a few bits on ebay lately...
If wanting to learn more about the native Elms, there's a book by Colin Lewis The art of bonsai design. im learning a lot from it.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@ConorDash Hi mate, this is collected from the wild, likely an old sucker that would of sprouted from an old root system, of a much larger tree/hedge/stump. i bet if you go out into the woody parts of Essex they'd be material like this dotted about the place. just have to keep your eyes peeled, or you'd miss it. its also easily attainable if looking to buy. Kaizen have some good Yamadori and ive seen a few bits on ebay lately...
If wanting to learn more about the native Elms, there's a book by Colin Lewis The art of bonsai design. im learning a lot from it.

Yeh that's something I've debated doing, must be plenty where I live as I'm in the countryside. I'll have to find info or guide or what to really look for, but I'm only brginning so in the meantime maybe not jump in to that yet :), thanks.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hawthorns! You guys got opportunities to collect some great ones there. They were used as hedges in England at one time right?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@M. Frary back in the day it was mandatory for land owners to mark the borders of their land with enclosures and English elm was the most common and effective species used for hedging bordering, Hawthorn and Beech were also used. id say Hawthorn is the most common used for hedging today though.

@Waltron hi buddy, yeh i saw those, @peterbone recently photographed those trees. awesome specimens:)

Great inspiration, im styling a shohin english elm along those lines atm

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Maros, im an admirer of your work and the material you work with. when you say few details, do you see aspects of the tree that you would improve or just making a general observation? Cheers

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Bobby, I like base and trunk up to the point where it goes up again. There it thickens (at least optically) and this seems to be most problematic point of the tree. I would say you can sort it out, by decet carving which will be designed to suit original natural dead wood of the lower sections of the trunk. Then creating crown which will suit the trunk will be easier part. Hope it helps a bit mate.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Maros thanks for those suggestions, I can see that too, those details will definitely be given consideration over the future. I also think the width of the canopy can be reduced, thus making the trunk look more powerful and dominant. I think thats what you mean when you say a crown that will fit the trunk.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi folks, ive been looking at this one and think it would make a great semi cascade, which is a style thats grown on me as was never a fan before. but i think this could possibly improve the tree....
would potentially mean reducing or removing the left branch and putting all the focus into the central and cascading branch. but i also think this will improve the trunk line, as you can see where all branches meet, the trunk swells a little.
I think this is what Maros meant when he suggested it could be a better tree, only took me a few months to figure it out:rolleyes:

13932857_1077555742309466_1713460447331272398_n by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Thoughts? the right branch would then be trained to cascade downwards, as if the tree is growing out the side of a mountain

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bobby
For me the gut reaction is 'no'. If I were to make a change I think the other direction is more promising - in pictures at least.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Tom, other direction as in the tree as is now or going back the other way. The left branch has a lot of movement, character, taper....would be a shame to see that go really. another option is removing the right branch and thus being able to reduce some of the wood in and at the back of that area. this would also improve taper from the front n back. then building a more compact broom shape with the remaining two branches. or i can just live with the tree as is. :)

13932857_1077555742309466_1713460447331272398_n (1) by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

another direction, here you lose balance which would then be corrected by rebuilding the canopy..

Last edited:
Top Bottom