English Elm

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,

If this tree rings a bell, its because @BobbyLane has already got a successful thread on this tree, over the past few years. Its located here: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/sleepy-hollow-english-elm.22380/
I purchased this tree in August.

I love its character filled trunk and movement, also great taper. I hope I can do it and the work that Bobby has already put in to it, justice.

Pics from Bobby:
39514029970_d1b9cd8d2e_o.jpg
39514031890_fe057983a8_o.jpg
[April 8th 2018]

From Today:
DSC_0001 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0003 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0005 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[November 6th 2018]

My fav from today is this daunting angle:
DSC_0007 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

I'm awaiting leaf drop for more pics and to see its growth from the first pic above, naked taken by Bobby at beginning of the season, till end of season (aware it has been trimmed, not left to grow)

Bobby told me a number of things about the tree. Sections I need to keep an eye on and trim back for ramification, not allow to thicken as it will start a bulge where it exits from the trunk, ruining its figure. When leaves drop, ill take a much closer look and analysis and probably discuss here.

Comments, style wise, health, etc, always appreciated and encouraged.
Thank you

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
nice one, it will be a lot better when the crown develops a more domed image. this one always had great autumn colours. roots will only get better.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
nice one, it will be a lot better when the crown develops a more domed image. this one always had great autumn colours. roots will only get better.

Looking forward to getting it leafless and looking closely at different parts. A good bit of over analysis, growing out which parts, etc.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
so next season just let everything grow out for a few weeks, let the leader extend, what i said about the trunk was to keep the blue arrowed branch in check as you want to keep it thinner than the ones below it on that side for balance. it doesnt need to extend as far as the main leader. the tree could do with a slightly larger crown now hence the virt

Attachments

• 43935693120_8980616c28_b.jpg
    43935693120_8980616c28_b.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 178

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
so next season just let everything grow out for a few weeks, let the leader extend, what i said about the trunk was to keep the blue arrowed branch in check as you want to keep it thinner than the ones below it on that side for balance. it doesnt need to extend as far as the main leader. the tree could do with a slightly larger crown now hence the virt

Yes, thanks :) The virt is helpful too. It backed up what I remembered you saying.
What I might do is pinch off a few buds in that blue arrow section to keep it from pushing too much energy and thus thickening. Maybe 25% of the buds.

Literally just a random thought, based on not much knowledge of pinching so it may be silly but seems to work logically in my head!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes, thanks :) The virt is helpful too. It backed up what I remembered you saying.
What I might do is pinch off a few buds in that blue arrow section to keep it from pushing too much energy and thus thickening. Maybe 25% of the buds.

Literally just a random thought, based on not much knowledge of pinching so it may be silly but seems to work logically in my head!

no need to do any pinching on an elm mate. tbf the tree is currently well balanced. it was pruned a few months ago. maybe can go in and remove bits growing in crotches, downward shoots etc, but it doesnt need much doing to it right now. there will be more work to do after letting it grow out next season for a few weeks. these can be clipped n grown with bits of wire here n there, no pinching.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
no need to do any pinching on an elm mate. tbf the tree is currently well balanced. it was pruned a few months ago. maybe can go in and remove bits growing in crotches, downward shoots etc, but it doesnt need much doing to it right now. there will be more work to do after letting it grow out next season for a few weeks. these can be clipped n grown with bits of wire here n there, no pinching.

Cool fair enough. I look forward to it.
I wanna try keep that moss growing in the trunk but winter will kill that. Hope it comes back.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Whoops lol!!

That message was supposed to be in our PM Bobby.. not in the middle of a forum! Lol.
Well, thanks for the answer.

Damn!
That is awesome!
I missed this one before.

Thanks, although it’s more Bobby’s tree than mine at the moment, I’ve not had it long.

Reaction score
Good you did, so i can follow this thread. The biggest work has been done by Bobby so it's time to paint the rest on the tree. Looking forward to the progression.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Naked pics (... of the tree...) (warning, a good number of pics. I wanted to get everything I could, without being silly, whilst its naked this year). No clean up done yet.
As if you aren't already watching this thread but @BobbyLane , I'm looking forward to the trim/clean up job, ready for the new year!
The moss has not been so green and lush looking since I had it, am convinced it is since the rains have come. My lime filled tap water does not agree with moss.

DSC_0057 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0058 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0059 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0060 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0061 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0062 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_0063 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0064 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0065 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0066 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0067 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_0068 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
starting to twig up nicely now, just want to fill in the negative areas over next few seasons. unless you like the moss growing on the trunk i would remove it from those areas, toothbrush dipped in vinegar will do it. also, i like moss on the surface of my trees too, but time to time i often lift it up to check if there's any unwanted guests lurking.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
starting to twig up nicely now, just want to fill in the negative areas over next few seasons. unless you like the moss growing on the trunk i would remove it from those areas, toothbrush dipped in vinegar will do it. also, i like moss on the surface of my trees too, but time to time i often lift it up to check if there's any unwanted guests lurking.

I like the moss growing in the trunk. I think that adds such a cool characteristic to it.
Aside from that moss, the other round the surface is good to cover up those radial roots but I certainly get you. I should make sure to check under it every so often, to be safe.
I remove the leafy weeds when I can, you can see some in there now. Less roots from other plants, the better!
Twiggy, yeh, but good clean up will help too, I feel. Get the right kinda twigs growing :). Thanks, I still love this tree.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the moss growing in the trunk. I think that adds such a cool characteristic to it.
Aside from that moss, the other round the surface is good to cover up those radial roots but I certainly get you. I should make sure to check under it every so often, to be safe.
I remove the leafy weeds when I can, you can see some in there now. Less roots from other plants, the better!
Twiggy, yeh, but good clean up will help too, I feel. Get the right kinda twigs growing :). Thanks, I still love this tree.

cool i agree. just to bear in mind, while it adds to the character, it will also accelerate the rotting and breakdown of the deadwood around that area and eventually the result will be a trunk with more depth, in the hollow, which is cool too, so double whammy!:D

ps the rot wont affect the live areas of the tree!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
cool i agree. just to bear in mind, while it adds to the character, it will also accelerate the rotting and breakdown of the deadwood around that area and eventually the result will be a trunk with more depth, in the hollow, which is cool too, so double whammy!:D

ps the rot wont affect the live areas of the tree!

Very good to know. Im happy with that natural evolution of the tree :).

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i like these blue branches, let them extend and thicken before trimming, so let them be until having a look later next season. as the left one thickens up and develops side branches, you could begin to thin out those shoots in yellow.

Attachments

• 46194634262_a3f378ce4b_b.jpg
    46194634262_a3f378ce4b_b.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 151

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i like these blue branches, let them extend and thicken before trimming, so let them be until having a look later next season. as the left one thickens up and develops side branches, you could begin to thin out those shoots in yellow.

Very good, Sir. I like it. Yeh I can see what you mean and totally agree.
Ill clean up the usual, bar bars, crotches, weak inner growth, etc then can take a pic and follow this advice.
The top blue, want to make sure it doesnt thicken too much, aye? That top one and the second smaller top one. I remember your advice on these 2. Dont want a bulge forming to make the transition from trunk to branches, less smooth.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very good, Sir. I like it. Yeh I can see what you mean and totally agree.
Ill clean up the usual, bar bars, crotches, weak inner growth, etc then can take a pic and follow this advice.
The top blue, want to make sure it doesnt thicken too much, aye? That top one and the second smaller top one. I remember your advice on these 2. Dont want a bulge forming to make the transition from trunk to branches, less smooth.

That was done ^
More pruning to be done once growth starts. Will be a bit more of a serious prune I believe, shorten and tighten all up.

DSC_0245 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0244 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0243 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0242 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0241 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Top Bottom