English Elm

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just update pics, growing well. Reduced the growth at the apex, to not allow the primary branch to fatten.

DSC_0546 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_0545 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Check out this little guy, growing right from the oldest of gnarly bark on the base of the tree. Its the only growth I found, growing from behind the bark. Removed him...

DSC_0549 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

And finally, a striking post picture..

DSC_0550 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just update pics, growing well. Reduced the growth at the apex, to not allow the primary branch to fatten.

DSC_0546 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_0545 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Check out this little guy, growing right from the oldest of gnarly bark on the base of the tree. Its the only growth I found, growing from behind the bark. Removed him...

DSC_0549 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

And finally, a striking post picture..

DSC_0550 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

looking good, this can be left for 2-3 weeks as well.
there is so much pain in that tree face?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update pics:

Misc by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

The bottom right, lowest branch will be reduced too. In this image it clearly looks too big and unbalanced. Im trying to build up its branch ramification but as its slower growing than the rest, its been left larger here, will reduce shortly.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Looking good. Try to keep the moss off the bark and deadwood, it will damage them.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking good. Try to keep the moss off the bark and deadwood, it will damage them.

Yeah I've heard but .. I kinda love it.. The moss that is inside the trunk (2nd to last pic) has been there since purchase and I just love it.. I think it adds so much to the image of it.
The moss on outside that is growing up the trunk I should probably reduce a bit, as that's the nice aged bark, so I would prefer to keep that.
Toothbrush with vinegar (1 part vinegar to 10 parts water, I hear?) should do.. although Ill have to make sure I dont go mad or itll kill a lot of it.

Wouldn't be so bad if it naturally ages the bark or deadwood, right? :)

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
It won't so much age it as rot it, keeping it too moist.
Yes, toothbrush should do the job. I use neat vinegar - paint on and then do the scrubbing a few days later - though you've got to make sure no vinegar runs down into the soil (can harm the roots). Your method is safer!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, toothbrush should do the job. I use neat vinegar - paint on and then do the scrubbing a few days later - though you've got to make sure no vinegar runs down into the soil (can harm the roots). Your method is safer!

Hmm.. perhaps I could keep the moss on the deadwood inside and not on the live tissue. But maintaining and keeping that correct would be a pain. I’ll have to think about that.

Yeah I’ll see if I canthink of or google a more accurate method of reducing the moss. Even a toothbrush dipped in vinegar is still not that accurate.. Or maybe just go simple, sharp knife, cut off bits I don’t want.

Your method is safer!

There’s a first!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I did end up removing the moss. Enough was enough. I have enjoyed it a lot on the substrate and bark but it was covering so much of the lower base, and couldnt see that lovely aged bark. So it was removed with vinegar and water spray. I actually took a few pics of how quickly it worked:

I love this look, but this was before:

DSC_1284 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

1 day later, after spraying:

DSC_1309 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Next day (sorry contrast is a bit high):

DSC_1311 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

4 days later, I removed a patch in the middle:

DSC_1316 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

A few days ago, after removing as much moss as I could. Some is still on but cant really remove with fingers, without damaging the bark:

DSC_1540 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr​

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some clear pictures of the tree as it is and leaves bursting out.

DSC_1541 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1542 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1543 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1544 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1545 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
Very frustratingly I dont seem to have taken a picture of it full on front facing, I dont know how I managed that!! But im taking full on photoshoots of all the trees, every few days at the moment as leaves emerge, so will take that one.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one was given a good trim back.

DSC_1704 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[23/04/2020]

IMG_1022 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
IMG_1025 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
IMG_1026 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
IMG_1027 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
[06/05/2020]

I have the problem of this dead yellow/brown moss on the trunk now.. which is still completely stuck to the trunk, but removing by hand would harm the bark underneath.. so if anyone who reads this has an idea about removing it, feel free!
Thinking of a toothbrush but feel that will be too hard and rough too..

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Tweezers. It should lift away without harming the bark. If it has 'dried on' then try re-wetting it.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I need to allow some growth and movement to create some larger canopy for this, and join up some of the foliage masses. I don't want it having "pom poms" like a Juniper. Which currently it has.

My only worry is creating empty voids in the way of growing out the canopy more. So I need to do it properly.
At the moment, my thinking is allow some growth, in tapered sections to the the areas I want, then allow enough room to cut back, pushing the growth back down and getting back budding. Thats the plan!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A
Tweezers. It should lift away without harming the bark. If it has 'dried on' then try re-wetting it.

Ahhh ok, this is a good idea. Glad you mentioned the wetting, as it is dried on yes. Ill try that, im due to water shortly today, although this particular tree stays more moist for longer than others, due to its mix but I will try that. Thanks Tom.

Any other critics for this tree? Im very much wanting it to be its best. It was setup well by Bobby after all, so I dont want his time being wasted on it.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great tree, Connor. As to the moss. You could maybe try using some vinegar and a toothbrush. I've used this method for removing algae and it works well. I know you mentioned that a toothbrush might be too abrasive. That might be the case depending on how delicate the bark is, IDK. I'm not familiar with English Elm but a soft bristled toothbrush has never been a problem for me. Just be gentle.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great tree, Connor. As to the moss. You could maybe try using some vinegar and a toothbrush. I've used this method for removing algae and it works well. I know you mentioned that a toothbrush might be too abrasive. That might be the case depending on how delicate the bark is, IDK. I'm not familiar with English Elm but a soft bristled toothbrush has never been a problem for me. Just be gentle.
Well try this too :) Thanks

Top Bottom