English Ivy Pictures

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a few pictures I took tonight of my English ivy.
I have had this tree for about five and a half years now collected as urban yamadori.
One thing I like about this Ivy is the leaves seem to reduce quite well.
If anyone has any pictures of some examples of Ivy bonsai feel free to post them here.

English Ivy 2.png English Ivy 3.png English Ivy 4.png

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
those are indeed very small leaves, is there a reason why you keep those 2 low branches?

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
cool species, nice job, here is an unknown grape vine I dug out of the woods last year. no one can really say for sure exactly what it is, but guesses are its some invasive grape.

UUnz9eR.jpg

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The unknown grape may be porcelainberry. You'll know if you get multi-colored berries in late summer/early fall, they'll start as green, then beige, turquoise and purple.

Invasive species but can be used as bonsai. I find the collected specimens in my area get some kind of nasty fungus or viral infection, however, I like them and porcelainberry can make a cascade. I currently grow a cultivated variegated variety.

I like ivy also but ramification takes forever.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

God damn it. I just got finished watching that Walter Pall fairy tale style video, now this..
It's really getting me motivated to do something. I wanna find some random ass yamadori to do things on!
I'm gonna go start a thread.... Don't mind me, carry on...

I really like the way this looks. It's whole style, it's image, I really like it. I think it's great :). It's almost as if I wouldn't want it to grow more leaves or have fuller foliage and take away from the great looking branches and trunk.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's my ivy, in progress since 2000 (I think).

View attachment 110337
This is lovely @fredtruck. By chance do you have a shot of it without the colors blown out and over saturated? Something natural? This makes me squint.

He does have a point lol, the colours in that picture, something went a little wrong I feel, as the colours went crazy :).
It doesn't take away from the great look of the tree though, of course.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Gentlemen, I like both of your Ivy bonsai.

Fred, any tips on ramification? what frequency do you prune? Container is lovely.

Walter Pall has a video in which he critiques an ivy bonsai (search on Walter Pall hedera bonsai) from one of the Czech guys (I think). It is a superb bonsai.

Ray

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Fred, any tips on ramification? what frequency do you prune? Container is lovely.

Walter Pall has a video in which he critiques an ivy bonsai (search on Walter Pall hedera bonsai) from one of the Czech guys (I think). It is a superb bonsai.

Ray

That video is posted in the thread above :)

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Ray
I don't prune very often, maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I cut it back close to where I pruned before, but not the exact same place to avoid the "knobs." Once every 4 or 5 years, I cut it way back. Then, I also inspect inside the foliage to find out what may be lurking there, and if it doesn't belong, I get rid of it. I think the key to my ivy, anyway, is time. The results I have are due to the time it has been in bonsai cultivation.

KingJades

Shohin
Reaction score
. I think the key to my ivy, anyway, is time. The results I have are due to the time it has been in bonsai cultivation.

Is this a fusion or a single stem that grew into that nice trunk?

I just picked up Little Hermann variety to use as a coffee table plant and it has nice, small leaves.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It started out as a triple trunk. Then, one trunk died. Eventually, one trunk absorbed the other. Competitive little beast.

Top Bottom