English Roses / Rose bush bonsai?

TinRoses

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So... A friend of mine who's a true rose enthusiast, but hasn't been able to grow their own due to economy forcing them into a studio apartment, has challenged me to attempt a rose bush bonsai. I've seen climbing roses and seen plenty of interesting stems and trunks on rose bushes, but how well would they handle being trained, wired, and back cut? Is it worth having a play for personal thrill or is this a losing enterprise from the word go and I should save my $25 on buying a bush?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So... A friend of mine who's a true rose enthusiast, but hasn't been able to grow their own due to economy forcing them into a studio apartment, has challenged me to attempt a rose bush bonsai. I've seen climbing roses and seen plenty of interesting stems and trunks on rose bushes, but how well would they handle being trained, wired, and back cut? Is it worth having a play for personal thrill or is this a losing enterprise from the word go and I should save my $25 on buying a bush?

Always thought about this myself because they make a nice big trunk sometimes... Probably though the blooms would be terribly oversized for a smaller tree.. Don't have a clue about leaf reduction, wiring... They do handle a hard cut back once a year, but any more than that and you may sacrifice blooms.

TinRoses

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have one in mind right now that has these STUNNING tiny blossoms that look like they're on fire. Copper and yellows that bleed to dramatic red and garnet colored petals. They're definitely a miniature rose. Y'know... I may just have to attempt this and see what happens. It's only $25, right? Worst case scenario they're a great gift to my mother who will see them grow like wildfire all over her place.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a Drift rose, miniature hybrid, that I purchased Fall 2013. The nebari is terrific and the trunk was short and fat and had a great leaning or semi-cascade shape when I bought it. However, for some reason, it lost the large first branch this summer.

I'm finding that they do not make classically-trunked trees. They seem to look better as an open clump or broom style because the flowers are on longer stems that far exceed the silhouette of smaller trees. I will try to get pictures when I get home tonight, but it may not be possible in the rain.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is one done by a club member. He dug it from his parent's landscape and it is upwards of 50 years I think. No idea what it is other than "an antique rose".

Attachments

• P1010051.JPG
    P1010051.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010052.jpg
    P1010052.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 100

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
It can be done. Please do not overlook any of Pedro Dots mini's Ti, Mi, and Si.

the don't need training. They are knees and ankles tinier rose than anybody else's.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its a year to year thing with them. The branches need to be cut back to the trunk each year where they start anew or they grow real long stems even on the miniature one I had years ago. Eventually mine weakened from continued attacks of Black Spot and Downey Mildew and Rust. It just did not rebloom one spring and was dead. There is also a thing called Mosaic virus which mine never had. If you get one keep it well away from Junipers and apple varieties as they seem to infect each other.

ed

TinRoses

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
In between checking on here for replies, my own mother schooled me: "I have to cut my roses back to basically nothing or else bad things happen. That includes the climbers. You know that! Why do you ask the internet when all you have to do is call your mother. I'm the rose pro!" Good ol' mom.

I was REALLY encouraged when I saw the photo Lordy posted and then to hear Stan Kengai's account of finding one with a semi-cascade shape already. I'd love, and I do mean love, to train one to cascade.

Promise to keep them away from junipers and apples! I'm hyper vigilant here because we DO have issues with sooty mold, white fly, and black scale. Everyone is on preventative measures and so far, so good.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have heard that containerizing roses weakens them and eventually they just up and die. Does anyone know how valid that is?

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have heard that containerizing roses weakens them and eventually they just up and die. Does anyone know how valid that is?
I am not certain, but want to say the rose in the photo I posted earlier was around 50 years, but containerized for way less. Maybe in a pot for 10 years. I have unearthed landscape versions in the past and none have much of a root system. That makes me feel like they just dont take much to support in terms of keeping them alive. Again, this feeling I have has no basis in fact other than the small root systems I have witnessed on several I have dug.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've tried roses three times and every time they seem to weaken and die on me. Not sure if it was the rose I used or what but once I got them into a bonsai pot they only lasted a few years so maybe it's true.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I beat the crap out of my landscape roses every year and can't kill them. I cut them 6" from the ground every Thanksgiving, and have blooms by February. Key is full sun and heavy fertilizer (at least for me). Watch the mildew/mold when it is wet/cold/spring and the aphids when they are pushing heavy growth.

In the back, I have climbing roses by the koi pond and mini roses by my BBQ. I kid you not my minis like to be completely dug up about once every 5 years or so. May just be our horrific clay soil, but they seem to like a change of rootage.

I have never considered them for bonsai, because honestly I think the thorns would be unconvincing.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There is one in my front yard that gets cut back to the ground every year and refuses to die. I'll pot it up this spring and see how it fares.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine died its ninth spring. Or maybe it was after cutting it back its eighth fall ? The thorns are not a worry as when they bloom the thorns seem to disappear, unless you touch one . lol You just don't see them when in bloom. My mini rose had an almost 2 inch trunk by the third year but it never got any bigger as one side died to the soil which did not slow it down at all. I used it as jin and then it started to crack open and rot and I had a natural hollow area.

ed

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've got over 50 bushes in the front. To me, it is all about cutting back hard, and removing the dead branches. I can have a bush that is 90% deadwood, and I cut it back hard, remove deadwood and it grows back strong. My wife has been trying to kill a rose bush in our back yard. I kid you not every year she cuts it back to the ground and tries to dig up the roots... and then up comes a rose.

This leads directly into the discussion of rose as bonsai. In my experience, there is no real opportunity to build up a deadwood trunk, given the tendency to die back to ground level.

roses.JPG

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's funny as I have about 30 or so roses in front and back and I can't kill them either. I cut back really hard and they just grow back. But in a pot maybe a deeper pot is needed and a lighter touch.

TinRoses

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I know my mom can't seem to kill hers either and at one point had them creeping up into palm trees (Florida) so I can vouch for hardiness. I know someone else who has had tea roses in a clay pot on a desk at work for the 20 years she's been with the company. Maybe it has something to do with pot depth and fertilizer used? I'm actually growing antsy to try and play with them. Maybe in bonsai people are just more prone to over watering them? I know in Florida they get pretty much soaked every monsoon season... But onward and upward they grow.

TinRoses

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
i've got over 50 bushes in the front. To me, it is all about cutting back hard, and removing the dead branches. I can have a bush that is 90% deadwood, and i cut it back hard, remove deadwood and it grows back strong. My wife has been trying to kill a rose bush in our back yard. I kid you not every year she cuts it back to the ground and tries to dig up the roots... And then up comes a rose.

This leads directly into the discussion of rose as bonsai. In my experience, there is no real opportunity to build up a deadwood trunk, given the tendency to die back to ground level.

roses.jpg

wow STUNNING!!!!!!

TinRoses

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Those are deliciously beautiful. I looked at rose bushes tonight at Lowes, didn't see anything that struck my fancy. Gonna stick to my tried and true website that my mother orders hers from. I don't think I've ever not liked what I've received for her.

Top Bottom