ERC vs Shimpaku BVF throwdown

DayDrunk

Yamadori
Reaction score
Heard there was a gauntlet thrown down for an Eastern Red Cedar to take on a Shimpaku Juniper in a no holds barred cage match by our great Mr. Van Fleet. Only a moron would accept this challenge.....well I’m your moron! I dug this turd up today totally out of season and further handicapping an already huge underdog in my attempt at immortality. Let’s see your challenger Mr. Bigshot. 🤪🤪🤪7DF9A8F2-ACA0-4E1C-BD20-5B8C1C2AE355.jpeg

DayDrunk

Yamadori
Reaction score
Honestly I’ll be surprised if it survives through summer but we shall see. And yeah, I know they suck, just something to goof around with for the next few years hopefully. It was either do this or run it over with the lawn mower again.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will never understand the logic behind common names..
Utter nonsense, isn't it?
It is called a cedar because the wood is like cedar. There are arborvitae (thuja) out here that are known as Western red cedar, thanks to lumber guys, all because the wood is like that of true cedars. And then there is cryptomeria that are Japanese cedar. It doesn't end there, but this is enough already.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is called a cedar because the wood is like cedar. There are arborvitae (thuja) out here that are known as Western red cedar, thanks to lumber guys, all because the wood is like that of true cedars. And then there is cryptomeria that are Japanese cedar. It doesn't end there, but this is enough already.
I’m already lost...🥴

Reactions: n8

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That is why I tend to throw down the botanical names. We have many people here who's first language is not English, nor 'Merican. For example, in Sweden, Pinus sylvestris is call the ''forest pine'', and in England the 'Scots pine'. The botanical name directly translates to 'Forest Pine', but using Pinus sylvestris as the name would leave no room for confusion.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
NO they are not Arborvitae, they are Junipers. Page 449 Eastern Red Cedar Michael A. Dirr. A true Cedar does not even grow in North America.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"The common link between" thuja, true cedars and "cedar" junipers "is aromatic wood"

ERC wood has been used to make "cedar chests" for literally hundreds of years. The wood gives off a distinctive scent that is said to be a natural moth repellent...

Top Bottom