Erythroxylum, Cocaine Bonsai

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Matta de Coca, cocaine leaf tea is a very mild affair. The slight tingle is pleasant and mild. One Red Bull has a kick many times stronger than a cup of Matta de Coca.

@Arnold - I like the Brugamania, I bet the flowers smell wonderful in the evening. Branching is a bit coarse to call it traditional bonsai, but the flowers trump the branching, I think it is great.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
During college and for a few years thereafter [the 70’s] I was attempting a nascent career as a professional guitarist. We affectionately referred to “Peruvian marching powder”, or as Frank Zappa called it, “weasel dust”, and even for club-level performers the stuff was everywhere. I have a particularly fond memory of white lines on the back of a Martin D-45 and a famous guitarist who shall remain nameless. I have described my relationship with the stuff in those days as being just like my relationship with butter pecan ice cream—it doesn’t matter how much is in the house, I will do it until it’s all gone.

Looking back on those days, I am amazed that more of us didn’t end up dead or in prison, but they say that God looks after drunks and idiots. I loved the line at the end of “Spinal Tap”: “As long as there are sex and drugs, I believe I could live without the rock and roll.”

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
During college and for a few years thereafter [the 70’s] I was attempting a nascent career as a professional guitarist. We affectionately referred to “Peruvian marching powder”, or as Frank Zappa called it, “weasel dust”, and even for club-level performers the stuff was everywhere. I have a particularly fond memory of white lines on the back of a Martin D-45 and a famous guitarist who shall remain nameless. I have described my relationship with the stuff in those days as being just like my relationship with butter pecan ice cream—it doesn’t matter how much is in the house, I will do it until it’s all gone.

Looking back on those days, I am amazed that more of us didn’t end up dead or in prison, but they say that God looks after drunks and idiots. I loved the line at the end of “Spinal Tap”: “As long as there are sex and drugs, I believe I could live without the rock and roll.”
lolol the marching powder
cool guitar story too...almost as good as my opening scene of wolf of wallst ;) (off a booty)

my mom and dad had strong hardworking careers after their fun as well,
but i wouldnt suggest it, slippery slope - dont do drugs kids

i appreciate my perspective too and hear you, could have been bad for anyone involved...but i appreciate the
experiences and wouldnt do it if it was offered to me for free now. have too much to lose now

i find it scary the amount of kids and people who take adderoll, because ill be damned, diet coke nickname is an understatement,
dont ask me how i know

back on a credit card statement at work

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Even forgetting the adulterated, chemically-addled crap that people ingest these days, even just in the context of pure coke if one could get it, a 67-year old heart doesn’t have the resilience of a 20-year old one. A couple of lines today could mean heart attack, stroke, etc. I’d just as soon enjoy the memories and leave it at that. When you’re twenty, you don’t really understand what you have to lose.
I hadn’t heard about Diet Coke, that’s pretty amusing. For some reason I just remembered George Carlin’s definition of the perfect girlfriend: a nymphomaniac coke connection who owns a Ferrari dealership.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Even forgetting the adulterated, chemically-addled crap that people ingest these days, even just in the context of pure coke if one could get it, a 67-year old heart doesn’t have the resilience of a 20-year old one. A couple of lines today could mean heart attack, stroke, etc. I’d just as soon enjoy the memories and leave it at that. When you’re twenty, you don’t really understand what you have to lose.
I hadn’t heard about Diet Coke, that’s pretty amusing. For some reason I just remembered George Carlin’s definition of the perfect girlfriend: a nymphomaniac coke connection who owns a Ferrari dealership.
Great point. I'm 34 but drink enough coffee, stress on work etc. enough. wouldn't be a smart idea for me either for multiple reasons. I worked hard from those early 20 yrs to get where I am now to throw it away. To each their own...I bet those in South America having a Yerba matte and cheek full of coca leaf are having a productive day though

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I remember reading years ago that the Inca empire had messengers who could run for three days and nights, fueled by coca leaves. I couldn’t do that if Charlize Theron was waiting for me in a hot tub at the end of the run.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I remember reading years ago that the Inca empire had messengers who could run for three days and nights, fueled by coca leaves. I couldn’t do that if Charlize Theron was waiting for me in a hot tub at the end of the run.
Haha

Dr greenthumb

Sapling
Reaction score
There it's not too much información about of growing coca as bonsai. So i have to learn just by myself just by trial an error. The only think that I know it's that it tolerate well defoliation 🤣 and the seeds lost viability so fast just in one month the seeds Will not germinate. I have to chop down 1 m tree just to leave 15 cm of the tree because the internodal space was so long for a bonsai. I'm trying to making cuttings with the stemas Sorry for My English I speake spanish

Attachments

• IMG_20211030_145830_342.jpg
    IMG_20211030_145830_342.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20211030_114215.jpg
    IMG_20211030_114215.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 17

Dr greenthumb

Sapling
Reaction score
It grows shoots from old wood!!

Attachments

• IMG_20211117_160921_163.jpg
    IMG_20211117_160921_163.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211117_160921_143.jpg
    IMG_20211117_160921_143.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 11

Dr greenthumb

Sapling
Reaction score
The plant sprouds from old wood

Attachments

• IMG_20211215_144105_233.jpg
    IMG_20211215_144105_233.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211215_144105_139.jpg
    IMG_20211215_144105_139.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 8

Catagonia

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My college years and twenties were drug free, except for occasional alcohol at parties (and of course coffee). And yet I have plenty of memories of seeing and sometimes doing astonishingly stupid things while drunk. I think it’s inherent in being 18-25 and disinhibited, regardless of the substance.

Nice looking trees. I’d be afraid to grow it indoors; my cats would be all over it, and that can’t be good for anyone. I won’t grow a plant inside unless it’s safe for cats to chew on and they don’t seem to get the idea of clip-and-grow shaping.

Top Bottom